Home Match Day Thread +++ 23/12/2017 OUFC v Wigan Athletic match day thread +++

I've followed the U's for 45 years and will always have pride in the club, but heading home from the Kassam yesterday I found myself wondering if any of the current squad, management and board have pride in OUFC.
Living where I do I mainly get to away games these days and whatever else, I've seldom felt that a Yellows squad has lacked heart and self-respect.
Those are qualities (along with basic skills, pace and team structure) that were totally absent yesterday.
Some posts on here have emphasised Wigan's good qualities, but all they had to do was play like professionals and feed off our mistakes and our apathy.
High on a long list of problems is the lack of leadership. At no point did Mousinho step up in that role, and his own game crumbled horribly in the second half.
If Clotet thinks he can carry on after something as bad as that, good luck to him. But the whole experience yesterday smelt of a sickness in the club.

Rome has been sacked fewer times as he has.

As I’ve said in this thread previously, he’s a good coach but a poor manager. A nice guy Peter Taylor where we need a hell-hath-no-fury Brian Clough.

Desperately missing Appleton too ☹️.
What’s Brian Clough up to these days? Maybe he’d fancy a pop at it?

Utter humiliation yesterday.

Thought we were headed for double figures and I just can’t think of a more shocking display I have witnessed in a long time.

Confidence has to be absolutely shot to bits and I’m afraid I just can’t see Pep having the ability to turn this around, he is just too nice.

Going into the busy Christmas period this could not have come at a worst time. It’s all very well Pep saying it’s just one game and 3 points but I’m far more concerned about the collateral damage.

Pep is becoming a Clot and has to turn this around immediately or otherwise I think he will become the ghost of Christmas past.

For some reason I just couldn’t get the 12 Days of Christmas out of my head last night ?.

Have a great Christmas one and all.. onto Gills ?.
It wasn’t 3 points lost. It was only 1 point, because that’s what we started with. Clotet logic. Baffling.

If only Brian Clough could take us forward. Passion he certainly had.
Clotet...best to go now...can't be long before he's gone now

I have supported Oxford since i was 10 - this was before many of you were born. I have seen some rubbish being played by Oxford - but yesterdays performance was up there........ I have seen some games this season where we have won and drawn - but I wasnt sure how we did so. I know we have lost many of our best players, some difficult to replace, but we have replaced them with players who just arent good enough. I dont want to name names but there are 3 players yesterday who I dont think should wear the shirt again. I am sure that there are many who might think there are more than that. Some of the players have produced this season and had a very bad day yesterday, but there are times when they can produce. League 1 players and league 1 for a reason, and inconstancy is one of them, another would be that they simply are not good enough. we do have injuries yes, but i am genuinely worried for the rest of the season. I hope we can turn it round..... I pray we can (and I'm not religious) but the players this year are not as good as those from last year. Even Eastwood who has been brilliant hasnt been his best this season.... is the problem the defence in front of him?? Our midfield was torn apart yesterday... yes Wigan are a much better team. But during this season if a team closes us down, rushes up, work together in pack we are lost, we cant cope... Are we fit enough ?? regardless of, are we good enough..... Lets hope for a reaction over the next few games.... COYY

I think this sums up pretty much my thoughts. A perfect storm. That said I didn't think Wigan were world beaters - a very good team all over the park though and that is why we haven't been punished as much by other teams. The lack of pace was more evident than ever yesterday - when we attack the ball goes from defence to midfield to attack with barely any overlap. Wigan on the other hand were able to constantly outnumber us offensively and defensively because of their ability to blend defence into attack and vice-versa..
I'm in two minds as to who to point the finger at here - clearly we need better personnel for our system but on the other hand the players aren't useless and should be able to play a 442. Eales if he doesn't sanction the recruitment for January, Clotet for being 1 dimensional or the players. Perhaps all 3.
Sad thing is that this hiding has been threatened for a while.
It was obvious yesterday that Wigan played a high line because they knew that there was more chance of white christmas in Perth, than any of our players getting behind their back line. It helped them press the P**s out of us.

We really need a wide player with pace, another central midfield player and a centre back with pace. More fit players in the squad will pressure the entire team to be better. Too many players know their position is safe because there is no one else to come in.

And I'd get rid of Aaron Martin for the good his career.

I'm watching the highlights, it's quite stunning to watch Williamson constantly give away goals by standing 10 yards behind the other defenders for no reason.

Merry Christmas everyone

I hope at least five get dropped tomorrow. So desperately need a change to. what happened against Wigan

I stayed till the end and one thing that pissed me off, apart from the result, was Chey running across the pitch clapping the fans, not because of that, but, the fans clapping him back made the few oxford players that braved coming down and clapping us think we were clapping them. And mouse nodding his head at us. Lack of respect for the crowd from our captain.

I stayed till the end and one thing that pissed me off, apart from the result, was Chey running across the pitch clapping the fans, not because of that, but, the fans clapping him back made the few oxford players that braved coming down and clapping us think we were clapping them. And mouse nodding his head at us. Lack of respect for the crowd from our captain.
More likely he was acknowledging the poor performance, I don't think he's the type to disrespect the fanbase. I don't think any of the players could possibly have thought we were clapping them - imagine the reaction if the whole team had walked off so at least they came over. Some did walk off of course...

I would like to see our captain screaming at and getting in the faces of our "team". The bloody manager hasn't the guts to give them s**t when they are playing like 11 individuals.

Mous, and a couple of others ,came as close as they dared to the fans and clapped and held their hands up apologetically. I'm not sure how his actions after the match were seen as disrespectful to the crowd.

Back
Top Bottom