Home Match Day Thread +++ 23/12/2017 OUFC v Wigan Athletic match day thread +++

Actually I thought Wigan were a class act all afternoon.

A very good team (who not only played decent football, but didn't dive and roll about), supporters who were generous with their applause for Cyril Beavon pre-match and didn't crow to much at our expense afterwards, a manager who took it upon himself to correct a ref's mistake and was at least sympathetic to us in his post match comments. Of course, it's easy to be generous when you've spent an afternoon shooting fish in a barrel - but nevertheless, classy.

Totally agree, a pretty class act all round. A guy near us was screaming for Cook to sit down but I could see what he was doing and could only applaud. As you rightly say, easier to be magnanimous when it's that one sided but still, very refreshing. We did wonder if they would bother announcing a man of the match but we figured it had to be Grigg, Cook or one of our unused subs (or Max Power, just because his name is Max Power).

After a day to reflect.

• One of the things that MApp always said, was that we had to “earn the right to play”. We don’t do that at the moment.
  • In the formation we play, we rely on full backs that get up and down the pitch. Neither of our full backs can do that, and I don’t see full backs at the club who can do that.
  • I’ve said for weeks that most of our problems come from centre midfield. We don’t control games in that area. Maybe Ivo will help here.
  • In games where we are up against it, jack Payne can become a bit anonymous. We could play rothwell there, he can drop into a 3 in midfield if needed and will run on passed WT. To me, we should be doing everything we can to get rothwell into the team.
  • Wigan are a very good team, and basic errors are always going to put you on the back foot against them.

Did they announce a Motm? I didn't here one announced, rightly so but must be first time this has happened?

Wigan had a shape and kept to it.
They had pace.
Strikers who shot at goal.
Didn't bother with tippy tapped.
Did simple things right..
Were gifted goals by players who seemed to have had their Xmas lunch before the game.

They'll be in for extra training on christmas day...it must only be punishment, because the jolly in spain and at the army barracks to bond the team and cut out the mistakes ain't worked , why would a few hours extra training make any difference?

If our players put in half the effort some fans have (unpaid) in recent weeks, for things like the children’s hospital, raffle and Oxvox activities we might have stood a chance.

In fairness, the team did visit the children's ward last week...was all over social media.

I WAS at the game yesterday Gerome and we woz sh*yte.

However, Watching the lowlights on that dreadful goal rush program I realised that I had just witnessed the funniest Christmas pantomime ever.

???????????

Happy Christmas everyone!

????

In fairness, the team did visit the children's ward last week...was all over social media.
Kind of missed the point there. They are paid a lot of money to do what they do, if the effort was there yesterday I doubt we would all have been as annoyed losing against a team top of the league. It was the manner, the lack of fight and passion, how many frustrated late tackles did u see from us. How many players screaming at each other for a cock up that lead to a goal. How many down on their knees heads in hands ? I don’t think many could have argued at the time that letting players like skarz, macca, dunks, Wright go, to replace with better (questionable) is a bad decision, but it’s the passion, the anger and frustration of losing, the temper where u go crunching through that number 11 because he’s walking round u that we’ve lost. The willingness to fight for each other and show us that they care as well, that it pisses them off when they play bad as well

Kind of missed the point there. They are paid a lot of money to do what they do, if the effort was there yesterday I doubt we would all have been as annoyed losing against a team top of the league. It was the manner, the lack of fight and passion, how many frustrated late tackles did u see from us. How many players screaming at each other for a cock up that lead to a goal. How many down on their knees heads in hands ? I don’t think many could have argued at the time that letting players like skarz, macca, dunks, Wright go, to replace with better (questionable) is a bad decision, but it’s the passion, the anger and frustration of losing, the temper where u go crunching through that number 11 because he’s walking round u that we’ve lost. The willingness to fight for each other and show us that they care as well, that it pisses them off when they play bad as well

Fair enough, misunderstood what you meant (and agree with the need for more fight). I just think the children's ward thing is a bit of an odd stick to beat them with.

Wigan were quality, so many times in the past we have gone 2-3 up and say back, then conceded. They carried on

Fair enough, misunderstood what you meant (and agree with the need for more fight). I just think the children's ward thing is a bit of an odd stick to beat them with.
No wasn’t using it as a stick to beat the players. I was using it along with the yellow army raffle and Oxvox as examples of efforts and time that fans put in unPaid. I want to see that effort and commitment every time they pull that shirt on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wigan were quality, so many times in the past we have gone 2-3 up and say back, then conceded. They carried on

Yes I was thinking that too.

Whereas Blackburn found themselves 3-0 up after 20 mins and decided to try and keep it tight for the remainder of the match. Obviously they still came out 4-2 winners but there was nothing like the intensity and desire of the Wigan side to keep pushing forward and score more goals.

Having slept on it, we got caught in a perfect storm. A one paced squad because of injuries out wide (and another winger leaving on deadline day), with a complete lack of confidence, experience and nous in the middle of midfield. The concern about pace meant the defenders didn't go forward and wingers were worried about getting back, so didn't get forward much either. And when they did, Wigan filled the space and and counter attacked. When the defenders had the ball, there were no outlets, so they either hoofed the ball, kicked it out or served it on a platter to Wigan.

From what was in the paper today, Pep did apologise to the fans for the performance "We are sorry to the loyal fans who wanted us to do better". Hardly an on your knees apology, but one nonetheless.

Whatever way you look at it we are nowhere near promotion material. Can't see anyone turning around our season after a crushing defeat like that. A defeat on Boxing Day and surely the writing is on the wall forPep

Having slept on it, we got caught in a perfect storm. A one paced squad because of injuries out wide (and another winger leaving on deadline day), with a complete lack of confidence, experience and nous in the middle of midfield. The concern about pace meant the defenders didn't go forward and wingers were worried about getting back, so didn't get forward much either. And when they did, Wigan filled the space and and counter attacked. When the defenders had the ball, there were no outlets, so they either hoofed the ball, kicked it out or served it on a platter to Wigan.
I think this sums up pretty much my thoughts. A perfect storm. That said I didn't think Wigan were world beaters - a very good team all over the park though and that is why we haven't been punished as much by other teams. The lack of pace was more evident than ever yesterday - when we attack the ball goes from defence to midfield to attack with barely any overlap. Wigan on the other hand were able to constantly outnumber us offensively and defensively because of their ability to blend defence into attack and vice-versa..
I'm in two minds as to who to point the finger at here - clearly we need better personnel for our system but on the other hand the players aren't useless and should be able to play a 442. Eales if he doesn't sanction the recruitment for January, Clotet for being 1 dimensional or the players. Perhaps all 3.
Sad thing is that this hiding has been threatened for a while.

Back
Top Bottom