Home Match Day Thread 23/02/2021 L1 OUFC v Portsmouth

this is what i find so annoying with this place, one minute we win and people can see the autos, lose one and it's forget the play offs.

Kelly has been poor and most on his back and yet he should be playing saturday

Winnall gets selected and receives no service and that's his lot
Exactly this.

Thank god we don’t work together because with your attitude towards the challenge ahead, you would drive me absolutely mental!
Lucky I don’t as I say what I see and don’t kid anyone. To many people will deny the obvious on here and don’t like a bit of honesty.

:unsure:Another pathetic display, something needs to change, fast!

Barker is excellent, as long as he's able to run at the full back, otherwise he's ineffective and disinterested, so either set the team up with the intention of getting the ball out wide to Barker more often, otherwise why bother signing him?!? :unsure:

I've said before, Winnall is hopeless, he looks like he can't run, is overweight, and is about as sharp as a rubber. Micky mouse trophy games is his level. A struggling Taylor still offers twice as much as Winnall, so why leave him on the bench, and play someone who can't run! :unsure:

Sykes finally starts looking like he's found form, and plays well for a few games, on the right of a midfield three, or on the right of a front three, so tonight Robbo plays him on the left of a midfield three, where he's always struggled :unsure:

Henry clearly struggles in midfield, but when on form, in a 433, is best on the wide of a front 3, and Lee has looked pretty good when he's played deeper, so Robbo plays them the wrong way round :unsure:

You can't just keep playing the same system, again and again, and just keep changing the personnel, hoping for an improvement, it's madness, and suggests a lack of ideas, or ability to think outside the box, sometimes a change of system helps change the whole dynamics, freshens things up, and reignites the squad.

After a great run of results, it's obvious the wheels have now come off, and if changes aren't made ASAP, then we can kiss goodbye to any hopes of the playoffs.

No need to swear at me because im pointing out your mindless, reactionary pessimism. I get why you are frustrated but to suggest that the season is over when we have 16 games and 48 points to play for is just ridiculous. Minnows in this league that have got to the play-off final, and the quarter final of the league cup? 😅 Riiiight. Stature doesn’t just apply to history and your wallet. We are a good side, that’s out of form. Whatever mate 👋🏼
It's conversations like this that really make me miss going to football in real life. The emotional overreactions from some, level headedness from others. The arguments and 'i give up' sighs. For what it's worth I agree with you @LeftSideBoy but this place wouldn't be the same without @bazzer9461 and his yo-yoing from joy to despair. Just wish we could get it all out of our system in the pub or the stands.

Would like some decent questions from the Mail and Chris Williams on tonight and the last few weeks.

Ask about the thoughts on the team selection tonight. Did he make an error in midfield.

Ask about Henry coming straight back in after numerous poor performances but a little cameo on Saturday.

Ask about the Gorrin dropping.

Ask if he’s happy with what Winnal is bringing to the team.

Ask about the continued absence of Ageyi.

Ask about the record against teams in top half of the table. Is it a mental thing? Or just poor management?

Ask about the continued sluggish starts to the second half.

I wonder if we'll get to hear a proper non MP like answer from KR about our slow second half starts as this time it has cost us. Again another out of sorts game and we probably got what we deserved.

I've posted this before hearing KR's media interview...so he'll no doubt come out and say it's becoming an habitual problem.

Do you think I should put a post it note on KR'S door when I pass in the morning?
As long as we don't hear those haunting clichés from the past...."Fokus"....and "They're an honest bunch of lads"

Lucky I don’t as I say what I see and don’t kid anyone. To many people will deny the obvious on here and don’t like a bit of honesty.
Be all honest all you like but it’s best to remain factual and objective whilst you’re at it. You’ve made some pretty wild claims in your last few posts. You claim the season is over, we won’t beat anyone that are around us in the league and we are minnows in this division. All three of those points are questionable.

It's conversations like this that really make me miss going to football in real life. The emotional overreactions from some, level headedness from others. The arguments and 'i give up' sighs. For what it's worth I agree with you @LeftSideBoy but this place wouldn't be the same without @bazzer9461 and his yo-yoing from joy to despair. Just wish we could get it all out of our system in the pub or the stands.
But I don’t live with hope, hope is a four letter word which basically means “ wishful thinking “
As they say on catch phrase “ say what you see “. We’ve been poor for the last two games the passing out from the back which doesn’t work that often, nor do short corners but the coaching team seem to not realise that’s been a problem.
Tonight their keeper kicked long, and Curtiss and Harness were under it and causing our defence problems, one day we will get caught out.

Last edited:
Would like some decent questions from the Mail and Chris Williams on tonight and the last few weeks.

Ask about the thoughts on the team selection tonight. Did he make an error in midfield.

Ask about Henry coming straight back in after numerous poor performances but a little cameo on Saturday.

Ask about the record against teams in top half of the table. Is it a mental thing? Or just poor management?

And taking the knee/Shodipo's gesture...don't forget that....

• React
Reactions: m

Ask why such a talented set of individuals (KR’s words) perform so poorly under his coaching.

Robinson said after the last game, Gorrin was leggy/tired. He has also been poor recently. Last game 2 x mistakes of his led to chances plus his poor discipline is impacting his performance. He needed a break. Taylor has also been off form. Winnall has score three goals recently. In my view whether Winnall starts or Taylor, we are leaving our strikers too isolated and their general impact on the game is not just down to them.

On seeing this i assumed we would be at them from the off rather than last 2 minutes when he was actually on.

The problem is each time Winnall is selected we for some reason provide no service for him to feed off.

you don't have to beat those above to get promoted

Be all honest all you like but it’s best to remain factual and objective whilst you’re at it. You’ve made some pretty wild claims in your last few posts. You claim the season is over, we won’t beat anyone that are around us in the league and we are minnows in this division. All three of those points are questionable.
I allude to the fact the playoffs are probably gone and that is an opinion tbh I hope you come back here in May and say “ you were saying ” and I will say fare enough, and if we were to get promoted via the playoffs I will come back on here with the question how many new players 14 -18 because unfortunately the team we have at the moment won’t be good enough for the championship.

The quality is there; the style of play is wrong resulting in no service for the striker(s). As soon as Pompey had the ball it was quick decisive thru ball for runs by several of their players making runs. When we get the ball it's pass it across the back of our own half for 5 minutes allowing the opposition plenty of time to re-organise and we then attempt to get the ball to a lone striker - predictable and ineffective. KR is going to have to twist and change tactics and pretty soon if he wants to get in the play offs.

That is precisely what I mean by a lack of quality - no quality play from Oxford.

Ponderous at times, rushed at times, predictable and ineffective, but absolutely lacking in quality.

(Stevens excepted - I thought he did well)

Stevens - 6.5

Long - 6.5
Moore - 6.5
Atkinson - 6.5
Ruffels - 5

Brannigan - 6
Henry - 5.5
Sykes - 5

Shodipo - 6
Winnall - 2.5
Lee - 6

Subs: