Home Match Day Thread 23/02/2021 L1 OUFC v Portsmouth

Malc

Staff member
Pompey at home. My head says we must win this one to keep up our play-off hopes. And my heart says the mighty Yellows will win!

That player with attitude all over his face will score .....he'll score because I dislike him.

Got a funny feeling in my water about this one. But that might just be my age... 2-0 COYY.

WE’VE MET U BEFORE : November 24th 2020

Pompey 1-1 U’s

A niggly affair ends in yet another 1-1 draw, Gorrin with a 66th minute equaliser from the spot for United.

U’s : Eastwood - Long Moore Atkinson Ruffels - Gorrin Forde Henry - Clare Agyei Shodipo

Eu2NyIRXIAcpeGQ

Praying for 3 points tonight, not so much as it keeps us in the mix but because of the bragging rights until we play them again. 2:1 to the mighty yellows because you all know that rat Curtis will score tonight. COYY

Pompey's away form is miles better than their home form so we're in for a battle. It's W8 D2 L2 on the road for them. They've only conceded 11 in those 12 matches too.

Come out of this one undefeated and I'll be fairly happy. As I said in a previous thread, beating the likes of Pompey is really needed to move up the table.

I’m slightly bemused by the “would take a point” attitude for some games. If we are serious about invading the play-off places then we need to BEAT the likes of Ipswich, MKD, Charlton and those teams around us in the table. And that includes Portsmouth this evening. I think it will be a serious marker as to how good we really are; but a total of three points from Ipswich, Portsmouth and MK on Saturday will see us settling into ‘safe mid-table’ mode, and isn’t enough to get us promoted. This evening’s result really is important so I hope we go for it.

I’m slightly bemused by the “would take a point” attitude for some games. If we are serious about invading the play-off places then we need to BEAT the likes of Ipswich, MKD, Charlton and those teams around us in the table. And that includes Portsmouth this evening. I think it will be a serious marker as to how good we really are; but a total of three points from Ipswich, Portsmouth and MK on Saturday will see us settling into ‘safe mid-table’ mode, and isn’t enough to get us promoted. This evening’s result really is important so I hope we go for it.
All great points last couple of outings have not exactly filled people with confidence, Hence the pessimism around here. If we want to challenge for playoffs then yes we DO need to win those games but we did not beat Ipswich did we. So allthough everyone wants us to get up there and hopes for us to the team needs to get us there by getting the results against better quality opponents. We are yet to see this. Although let's start today please!

Big game, can't wait!

We've been struggling for form recently, and things have gone a bit stale, so I'd like to see Robbo freshen things up a bit, to reignite the squad.

I'd try this for 442 diamond the first 60mins:

Stevens
Long Moore Atkinson Ruffels
Gorrin
Kelly Brannagan
Sykes
Henry Taylor

SUBS: Winnall, Barker, Shodipo, Forde, Lee, Grayson, Eastwood

Then I'd switch to this 433 for the last 30mins:

Stevens
Gorrin
Sykes Brannagan
Shodipo Winnall Barker

Pass them to death for the first 60mins, and then get our wingers on to stretch them, then once we're 2-3 goals up, bring Forde on for Sykes to help shut up shop.

Simples!

COYY

Big game, can't wait!

We've been struggling for form recently, and things have gone a bit stale, so I'd like to see Robbo freshen things up a bit, to reignite the squad.

Stevens
Gorrin
Kelly Brannagan
Sykes
Henry Taylor

Stevens
Gorrin
Sykes Brannagan
Shodipo Winnall Barker

Pass them to death for the first 60mins, and then get our wingers on to stretch them, then once we're 2-3 goals up, bring Forde on for Sykes to help shut up shop.

Simples!

COYY
I think that Barker or Shodipo will rightly start.

Big game, can't wait!

Stevens
Gorrin
Kelly Brannagan
Sykes
Henry Taylor

Stevens
Gorrin
Sykes Brannagan
Shodipo Winnall Barker

Simples!

COYY
Agreed, we have lost our passing tikka takka style recently and have struggled under pressure. We need KR to be imaginative with his tactics today.

No more long balls!!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom