Away Match Day Thread +++ 22/02/20 Ipswich Town v OUFC+++

Play how we did v Sunderland and v afc Wimbledon & finish how we did v afc Wimbledon and it should be an away win....1-2 Sykes & Browne

Picking the team for tomorrow won't be easy.

Long or Forde?
Bring Gorrin back in? If so, who do you leave out?

Selection headaches. I would prefer Gorrin to come straight back in displacing Browne or Holland to the bench and allowing Cam Bran and Henry to link up. Which ever is benched can be a real impact player against a fatiguing Ipswich.

One week after the U's win the League Cup at Wembley they are staring at relegation as Ian Atkins nets a last gasp goal for Ipswich
on April 26th 1986. Ipswich ended up being relegated a week or so later !

Yeah, relegated by us ?. Their fans were dancing on the pitch celebrating staying up after that game, whilst coining the Oxford fans. Was so satisfying to relegate them when we beat Arsenal in our last game.

We’re going to win tomorrow Tuesday for the first time in 2020 felt like we turned that corner we’re going to go on a run play like that tomorrow and I fancy 1-3 Holland scoring again keep the same line up as Tuesday and bring Gorrin on later coyy

Easty
Long Dickie Moore Ruffels
Gorrin
Henry CB
Sykes Taylor Holland​

Suspect KR's comments about potentially not including Gorrin are a bit of a smoke screen, he absolutely has to play. Even against Wombles that midfield on Tuesday was nearly caught out a few times. We need more balance against the better teams, especially away from home.

I would rather have the defensive solidity of Long than Forde in this match. Plus, with CB and Henry getting back to their best, we have more of a controlling and attacking midfield than we did with them out, so the lack of 'out ball' out wide as often wont be as much of a problem. Again, Forde was fine for a home game against the side 20th in the league, but I worry he might get found out against the better sides. Plus, if Garbutt still plays wide left for Ipswich, Long will know his style of play from last year, perhaps giving him an advantage.

Left wing, I'm enjoying the growing relationship of Holland and Ruffels and think it would be counterproductive to shoehorn in Browne when Holland has been improving with every game wide left. You could start Browne in place of Sykes, but I prefer the option of having Browne's raw athleticism off the bench. Along with Agyei, we now have subs that can come on and really terrify tiring defences with their pace, power and finishing ability.

Have a feeling this game will be a sliding doors moment in our season. Win and, along with our remaining fixtures and the bounce from Tuesday, I think we look really good for playoffs. Lose and we're too far behind not just numerically, but mentally too: it would be yet another loss to our promotion rivals, and even if we were to get to the playoffs, I doubt we'd make any great fist of them.

Marcus Browne to play through the centre again. Play, and pass, as he did on Tuesday, and we have a winner. Ford's crossing and dead ball situations were an improvement on the usual and we saw how Taylor relished getting on the end of those same crosses. Agyei to come on as players get tired with Gorrin to bolster defence once we have scored.

Eastwood
Forde Dickie Moore Ruffels
Henry Gorrin Brannagan
Sykes Taylor Browne
Holland, Agyei & JM on the bench.

See how the game goes and use the options.

Back
Top Bottom