Away Match Day Thread 20/04/2021 L1 AFC Wimbledon v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where have mentioned the players, I haven’t?

We lost game, unsurprisingly. However Man City came for a game of football and got one. It wasn’t a old fashioned cup tie where we dug in and got lucky. They knew their class would win through eventually.

How may teams in L1 play that way or even play our way? Do Hull? Do Peterborough? How about Sunderland?

Any other examples away from the Manchester City?

Do you think being caught at least twice in and around box v AFC Wimbledon is the way to go?
Do you think we showed some balls and steel to comeback from 2 down against Gillingham, how about the point at MK Dons the winner at Rochdale

re Man City did we not receive high praise across football for our style of play last season

Fans have opinions on players and managers, you clearly don't like Robinson but one thing i will say reading this forum this season it would be far better and more respected if it was solely about him as a manager and not his accent.

Why should we be doing better, where do you expect we should be in the table and why

who is this genious that will make the difference and why

Which CB’s started the season?

Why shouldn’t Atkinson be near the first team? After all, that’s the clubs project and I agreed with it.

So we have 3 CB’s - 3 FB’s. That enough for a full, condensed L1 season?

I agree with the way he’s been handled. Likewise McNally.

A better start? It couldn’t have for any worse!!! Again. Why haven’ the lessons been learned? It’ll cost us this season so forgot about tonight and any other game you can pick out.

As for Ipswich, they’ve been a basket case for years. On and off the pitch. Add to that lambert and a big contract (remind you of anyone.....) and you’ve got mid table L1..

I do however rate their chances of going straight up next season.
so Ipswich a basket case and what about us ?

how about not being able to name a settled side at or near the start of the season the major loss of Gorrin that cannot be underestimated

There is no way one way or the other to prove whether a better start would have made the difference, as i've pointed out there was still likely a blip mid or seasons end

as for Robbo and his contract, is it not better to have continuity when trying to build something, it's bad enough watching your best players go and then have to rebuild season after season which is another thing often forgotten

how about having 2 of your better players leave with promotion on the horizon, he still oversaw a push into the Play Off Final which despite what again many have wrote we had no right to expect to win

Do you think we showed some balls and steel to comeback from 2 down against Gillingham, how about the point at MK Dons the winner at Rochdale

re Man City did we not receive high praise across football for our style of play last season

Fans have opinions on players and managers, you clearly don't like Robinson but one thing i will say reading this forum this season it would be far better and more respected if it was solely about him as a manager and not his accent.

Why should we be doing better, where do you expect we should be in the table and why

What’s a genious?

What’s a genious?

It was typical Oxford last night the scum beating Pompey gave us a chance and what do we do we go and give charlton a chance and god they took it with both hands beating Plymouth 0-6.It would have been nice to be in the play offs but we just haven’t been consistent enough this season and have blown most chances we got at getting in them.I actually thought after Saturdays come back win that maybe this could happen maybe it’s our year but never mind we move on at least the club can start identifying players for next season in league one

It was typical Oxford last night the scum beating Pompey gave us a chance and what do we do we go and give charlton a chance and god they took it with both hands beating Plymouth 0-6.
And we all know what happens after a team gets absolutely stuffed.

Last night may not have ended the season, but the upcoming 0-0 on Saturday surely will.....

It was typical Oxford last night the scum beating Pompey gave us a chance and what do we do we go and give charlton a chance and god they took it with both hands beating Plymouth 0-6.It would have been nice to be in the play offs but we just haven’t been consistent enough this season and have blown most chances we got at getting in them.I actually thought after Saturdays come back win that maybe this could happen maybe it’s our year but never mind we move on at least the club can start identifying players for next season in league one

Agree 100%. Weird season. Relegation form, title winning form, relegation form then win and lose form. We are a mid table team and not good enough for the top 6. Our recent results against Northampton, Accrington and Wombles plus not being able to beat any of the top 6 (except an injury ravaged lincoln) have done for us. I dont think we are that far off a promotion pushing team. Cover for defence, some more grit in midfield and 2 decent pacy wide players will give us a chance next season. I think that sunderland players comments about us having a soft underbelly is pretty spot on.

Ridiculous. The scapegoat for the whole season, is he?
Look no further than a manager who “turned our season” by Christmas.
Sorry for clarity I didn’t mean James Henry is to blame for the whole season, that’s patently ridiculous. I just meant he was the catalyst for the point that the season took (yet another) turn.

Oh well.

On to next season, bar an absolute miracle.

Having now slept on it, can everyone be nice to each other again please.

Have a good day. 👌

Robinson's failings in recruitment then. Didn't bring in adequate defensive cover, signed Kelly, Grayson, Clare, Hanson who aren't good enough. Kept Hall in the squad who is too lightweight.

Surely its his last chance next season, he needs to clear out the deadwood and add the correct strength in depth to the core of this team.
Look at Burtons forum
They think Clare is very good mind you they are playing him in the right position

There is no way one way or the other to prove whether a better start would have made the difference, as i've pointed out there was still likely a blip mid or seasons end
Of course it can't be *proved* one way or the other. But don't you think it is more *likely* that we would have a few more points now if we had started better? Because I cannot see how you can write off that awful start and claim it might not have made any difference - that's the equivalent of writing off the winning streak we had and saying that didn't make any difference either!

For sure it is very disappointing to lose to Northampton, Wimbledon and Accrington at a critical point of the season. But we were lucky that these became critical games after the start we had. Our bottom of the table awful start of 16 games only needed to be 4-5 points better and we probably would have comfortably made the play offs. Basic goalkeeping errors account for more points than 5, the Clare experiment at right back cost us at least 4 points too. So ultimately it could be said that the manager not withdrawing Clare from right back and a completely out of form Eastwood early enough cost us the points to allow us a successful season.

I know we had the pre-season issue after the play offs, we had some injuries (but every team did) and we were the most affected team in the league with our opponents crying off due to Covid but the clearest error made was not withdrawing Eastwood from the action after 3 or 4 games when it was obvious something was up and it has cost us in the end. Maybe we would still have lost many early matches but they would have had to have been hard earned by the opposition because I am sure Stevens would not have gifted them goals like Eastwood did. So I have to lay the fault of the season with the manager for not recognising this when virtually everybody else did, but he still gets some credit for getting 49 points from our last 27 games which whilst is impressive unfortunately looks like it is not enough, unfortunately losing to the likes of relegation threatened Northampton and Wimbledon when we are pushing for promotion does little to demonstrate that we are actually a strong League 1 side despite the haul of points in the last 27 games, even with a better start to the season you still feel we would have messed it up somewhere else along the line and these recent losses start to indicate this.

Having had time to read through this thread it amazes me that some fans can get apoplectic over one result
To blame James Henry is ludicrous, it was he who tracked back and stopped the run of their player in the first place. In his position on the line it is an instinctive reaction
Fans on here get overjoyed on Saturday when we were awful for 80 minutes and think we are diabolical last night after being in control for 60 minutes. Don’t forget tha Branagan free kick just before their goal another 2 inches higher and we are 2 0 up
Football is about fine margins
What I find most annoying is the level of abuse aimed at some posters. This should stop immediately
Football is a game of opinions I’m old enough to remember fans having a go at Arthur Turner but he got us promoted the following season. Likewise with Jim Smith in his first full season in charge people wanted him out but the following season it all came good
I think as a club OUFC are doing some great things. With the Chairman out of the country a lot falls on KR’s shoulders.
He has done a good job by and large we are around where we should be with our budget challenging for the playoffs.
Next year I expect us to be in League 1 If we get extra cash then I expect us to be challenging for an automatic place
That is where we are let’s hope we win all 3 games and give ourselves a chance but come what may we will all be supporting the Yellows next year

Disappointed last night after the high of Saturday, at 1-0 up and the Pompey result you started to wonder if this could be our season but then we came back to earth with a bang. All in all I don’t think we are actually good enough to go up but at the beginning of the season I just wanted the club to survive, stay up and be able to actually get to games if we could, managed two of those things and it’s been an entertaining season after the dreadful start.

Finish this season with a couple of wins and roll on next season, fingers crossed we will actually be able to go to games next season, hopefully that will be the season we get promoted in front a full house somewhere.

Of course it can't be *proved* one way or the other. But don't you think it is more *likely* that we would have a few more points now if we had started better? Because I cannot see how you can write off that awful start and claim it might not have made any difference - that's the equivalent of writing off the winning streak we had and saying that didn't make any difference either!
You can’t argue with that statement 😎

A pause for thought here. Last evening's result was a disappointment and there is no denying it. However, it has to be taken into context. I have been checking up on our fixtures around ten seasons ago at a similar time in April. I see we lost at Eastbourne 1 - 0. Previous to that we were spiralling down to the foot ofthe table under Patterson. You all know this of course, but it is worth reflecting upon. What followed was the stuff of dreams . I remember our first game back in Division One when we got a point against Chesterfield. I was relieved that we had at least got a point on the board. And look at Chesterfield now. The last decade has been one of consolidation with a smattering of Cup runs into the bargain. All this has been achieved with no help from an intransigent ground owner. Maybe we expect too much, too soon. I feel the future is looking bright with the present manager at the helm..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom