Away Match Day Thread +++ 16/12/2017 Rochdale v OUFC match day thread +++

We settled for 0-0 about 20 mins from the end. Against a bottom 4 side. All 11 players were back in our box defending corners. A really poor afternoons “entertainment”. Wishing the defence to tighten up doesn’t mean wishing to see negative performances with no attacking intent. Some will say we are 8th with more points than last season or whatever but it doesnt feel like progress watching games like this one.

I shamefully replied to one of Pep's tweets on the way home from the game earlier, but my main points seem to have been covered by others in here - so I feel less ashamed - kind of.

Yes, the conditions weren't great, and yes, a point away from home looks ok on paper - but it was a very poor performance in my eyes.

Main points:

- Tactics were negative and defensive, and it was obvious. Fair enough if it was Bradford, or Blackburn away - but it was Rochdale. We defended with 10 men behind the ball and looked as if we were protecting a 1-0 lead from about the 10th minute.

- Eastwood was getting jeered by the Rochdale fans behind him for time wasting as soon as the 2nd half started. Even our own fans were getting on his back about it - something I have never witnessed!

- We defended corners with 11 men in our box. We had no outlet, and it caused a bit of chaos on a few occasions. It was bizarre.

- We didn't seem bothered about attacking. I honestly don't remember a game where I have been so bored, or have heard so little noise from the travelling yellow army. Bradford (a) last season (with nothing to play for) comes to mind, but considering where we are in the league at the moment - I just don't understand why we didn't give it a bit of a go today.

- With the ball - we did absolutely nothing, and I feel that this stemmed from the fact that the players weren't moving enough for each other to open up space, and make life easier for each other. Pep mentioned players putting in a shift - I saw the back line defend well, but other than that - I don't agree.

I've been to plenty of away games over the last few years, and haven't had a rant like this after a draw before - but the tactics genuinely concerned me, and I don't want fans to be put off traveling. It cost me the best part of £100 today, and I'm sure others can probably top that - and with that, you do expect a certain level of effort to be put in. The ratty 4-0 win last season feels like a long time ago....!

First time I have seen us this season and blimey it was like being back in the days of midtable league two finishes.
Pitch was poor. Bobbly, cut up and lots of divets and that was before kickoff.

Our passing all game was so so poor and from all over the pitch, we gave it away in our box, on the centre circle, in the attacking third, everywhere!

I had heard about Pep's love for narrow fullbacks but hadnt realised quite how much. It played right into Rochdale's hands for long diagonal balls.
To be fair to the back four, they dealt with everything in the main, not prettily or without panic but did the job. Eastwood pulled off 4/5 top saves.

New player wise -
Tiendalli was good defensively but the worst on the pitch for passing.
Williamson and Mous has a battle against two lumps up top but managed it.
Not sure what Mowatt offers or what he is supposed to be. A freezing cold December game away in rochdale probably isn't the best to be judged on but Xemi was poor.
Henry strayed from looking completely disinterested to a flash of good play back to poor again.

Wes put a good shift in but was fighting a losing battle being on his own. Seems like we don't have an alternative option to change to in a game.

On paper a good point.
But performance wise, "good" doesn't feature. Eastwood got us a point.

Watched it from home and i have to agree with all of this. Spot on for me.

(We've rode our luck the last three games, so thank our defence for 5 precious points)

Ledson and Rothwell have to come back in against Wigan for me. Ledson hasn't been consistent this year, but he would provide the steel we need against, what is easily he best midfield in the league. I can't understand why Rothwell didn't start today. Mowatt is a tidy little player but doesn't really do enough to hurt the opposition. Rothwell is direct and makes things happen. I know who I would rather defend against.

Basically, with these two world beaters back, Ivo and Agon, why do we need to sign anyone. Classic Eales.

Ledson and Rothwell have to come back in against Wigan for me. Ledson hasn't been consistent this year, but he would provide the steel we need against, what is easily he best midfield in the league. I can't understand why Rothwell didn't start today. Mowatt is a tidy little player but doesn't really do enough to hurt the opposition. Rothwell is direct and makes things happen. I know who I would rather defend against.

Agreed. The video highlights posted above miss Thomas' shot in the second half, which went straight to their goalie. Overall, yesterday's match was very bland and as others have pointed out the time wasting in the second half was frustrating and all about being happy with a draw, as was the substitution of Xemi for Ledson on 85'. The defence looked a bit stronger than in previous games, against a Rochdale team who were creating chances and had scored 3 against Bradford the previous week. Eastwood the standout performer.*

Xemi's floated in free kicks proved ineffective and I'd like us to keep a man up, say Jack Payne, on the halfway line when the oppo. are taking corners. Highlight of the visit for me was having a drink in the Cemetery Hotel.

*Ps. Plus the ref., he had a good game too.

Last edited:
I wasn't there yesterday Jerome, but there is IMO a huge difference between becoming better defensively (which gives you a solid base from which to attack) and just becoming more defensive by keeping more men behind the ball all the time and lumping the ball clear (which reduces your attacking threat and actually invites more pressure). Sure - they both might reduce the amount of goals you concede, but I'd argue that one makes it far less likely that you will score than the other. Of course, attempting to become more secure defensively might well mean that you actually need better defenders!

Friend of highlights here, who was at the game (highlights has opened his account up to a few friends who get to see Oxford in the flesh a bit more than he does - we all work in the game, and no, none of us work for OUFC!)

Jesus what an awful game. For a passing team like Oxford that was a living hell. Moving the ball at speed down the middle of the pitch on the ground was near impossible. The only place OUFC had any joy was on the wings, and even that was limited.

Those slating the team, I think are being unfair. A passing team was always going to struggle on that joke of a pitch. That said, I think Pep got his tactics wrong. It was a game for the ball to be in the air - and for some reason the team's best aerial player, John Obika, didn't get on the pitch. Obika could have offered a valuable outlet to hold the ball up - as it was OUFC just couldn't keep the ball.

Also Eastwood looked nervous. Some cracking stops - but compare and contrast Lillis (Dale's keeper) and Eastwood. Lillis dominated his six yard box. Anything near him was gobbled up. Eastwood looked uneasy when anything came near him in the air.

Anyway. I think most sides who play passing football would have taken a point in those conditions. I hope to god the next game I'm sent to is a) warmer and b) better quality

Ledson simply has to start v Wigan to add some grit otherwise our entire midfield will get overrun by the likes of Morsy/Power and Evans
I'd start Rothwell over Mowatt too.

Wigan can score goals for fun and we could easily get ripped apart next week. Equally, if we are on our game then we are capable of beating them.
Hopefully those that remain from last season will give Pep some tips about how to expose Dunkley. His centreback partner Burn is also a bit of a lanky unit, hopefully Wes et al can move them about a bit.

Ledson simply has to start v Wigan to add some grit otherwise our entire midfield will get overrun by the likes of Morsy/Power and Evans
I'd start Rothwell over Mowatt too.

Wigan can score goals for fun and we could easily get ripped apart next week. Equally, if we are on our game then we are capable of beating them.
Hopefully those that remain from last season will give Pep some tips about how to expose Dunkley. His centreback partner Burn is also a bit of a lanky unit, hopefully Wes et al can move them about a bit.

Ledson is a must he hasn't been as good as he was before that knee injury last season but he is a really good anchor in the midfield and allows Ruffels to go forward. However, if Mowatt is to be dropped it would have to be (in my opinion) for Van Kessel or Napa, this current team lacks pace with Hall out injured and we can't drop Henry because against Wigan we're going to need someone with a good delivery out wide, Those outlets being Henry and Ricardinho because as we know Dunkley doesn't do too good under pressure so if we can put the crosses in that cause him issues dealing with them then we could get a decent result.

Friend of highlights here, who was at the game (highlights has opened his account up to a few friends who get to see Oxford in the flesh a bit more than he does - we all work in the game, and no, none of us work for OUFC!)

Jesus what an awful game. For a passing team like Oxford that was a living hell. Moving the ball at speed down the middle of the pitch on the ground was near impossible. The only place OUFC had any joy was on the wings, and even that was limited.

Those slating the team, I think are being unfair. A passing team was always going to struggle on that joke of a pitch. That said, I think Pep got his tactics wrong. It was a game for the ball to be in the air - and for some reason the team's best aerial player, John Obika, didn't get on the pitch. Obika could have offered a valuable outlet to hold the ball up - as it was OUFC just couldn't keep the ball.

Also Eastwood looked nervous. Some cracking stops - but compare and contrast Lillis (Dale's keeper) and Eastwood. Lillis dominated his six yard box. Anything near him was gobbled up. Eastwood looked uneasy when anything came near him in the air.

Anyway. I think most sides who play passing football would have taken a point in those conditions. I hope to god the next game I'm sent to is a) warmer and b) better quality

Any goalkeeper will be nervous when he has a penalty area with 21 players in it. Leave at least two up when defending corners means attacking team have to leave 3 back generally. Much easier for a goalie who isn't struggling through a crowd to gather a cross...

If we didn't play two up top yesterday then I doubt we ever will under Clotet, conditions and available players made it the day to try it.

It's a decent point for those who didn't go but if you put in your time and money to attend then less so.

Hope we can put in a good display against Wigan to make up for it to those that travelled.

Ledson is a must he hasn't been as good as he was before that knee injury last season but he is a really good anchor in the midfield and allows Ruffels to go forward. However, if Mowatt is to be dropped it would have to be (in my opinion) for Van Kessel or Napa, this current team lacks pace with Hall out injured and we can't drop Henry because against Wigan we're going to need someone with a good delivery out wide, Those outlets being Henry and Ricardinho because as we know Dunkley doesn't do too good under pressure so if we can put the crosses in that cause him issues dealing with them then we could get a decent result.

Would imagine Dunkley and his big centrehalf partner will be delighted if we chuck crosses at them all game. Moving between the lines and causing them problems on the deck is more likely to cause them trouble I think.

Would imagine Dunkley and his big centrehalf partner will be delighted if we chuck crosses at them all game. Moving between the lines and causing them problems on the deck is more likely to cause them trouble I think.
Not necessarily the high crosses more the low hard ones, that Ricardinho likes to put in always cause defenders issues, so if we can get them in there could cause them an issue, he was never very good when with the ball in the defensive box and seemed hesitant about weather to get rid or pass it forward.

Back
Top Bottom