Home Match Day Thread +++ 15/02/20 OUFC v Sunderland +++

We’ve played so much better previously in our old formation though, and Cadden has had games where he’s had far more possession higher up the pitch and created more chances than Forde did, and he was a full back!
The old team isn't coming back, I'm afraid. Obviously Cadden was better, but they wanted a million pounds for him. We only had him on loan.

The old team isn't coming back, I'm afraid. Obviously Cadden was better, but they wanted a million pounds for him. We only had him on loan.

I know that, but I’m pointing out that saying by us changing the formation to three at the back and wing backs gave our right sided ‘defender’ loads more attacking possession is patently wrong, as Cadden enjoyed that in a back four.

You really are something else!

Firstly, we have 44 games this season so 14 games left and 42 points to play for.
You say that we need a minimum of 36 points, which will leave us on 81+. That is exceptionally high for playoff positions and probably 10 points more than needed.
We have home games against Wimbledon, Accrington, Southend, MK Dons, Bristol Rovers and Bolton. It is realistic to expect a minimum of 5 wins from these games. (15 Points)
We have away games against Tranmere and Rochdale which you would realsitically expect wins. (6 points)
This leaves 6 others games, Pompey and Fleetwood (h) Ipswich, Coventry, Wycombe and Shrewsbury (a). Some tricky games so lets say a point a game on average. (6 points)
That would give us 27 points from the remaining 14 games and a total of 72, which should be enough for a playoff space, although we would all like a few more to be sure.

So I have given (by my standards) a fairly realistic and achievable view of our remaining games. Whereas you are throwing in the white towel. We have outplayed teams at the top of the table, and been outplayed ourselves. We have also held our own and battled to some decent results. That doesn't guarantee success, but it certainly doesn't mean that we can't compete.

You can wrap up your hysteria in anyway you wish, but it is frankly pathetic to have already given up with a third of the season still to go.

With the greatest of respect Scotchegg “realistically” we are unlikely to take 21 points from those games.

“Hopefully” we can bag those points, but “realistically” we will drop points just as we have done against said opposition in previous seasons.

Mixing hope and optimism with reality.

Well, maybe. But we’re a div 3 club with gates of 7000, such clubs don’t normally pay fees like that.
Perhaps, but given we’ve just brought in around 5.5m in sales and cup runs between July and the end of January, he was clearly vital to our play and in turn form, and the odds of us not at least getting our money back at an absolute minimum are incredibly slim... was it a false economy?

Perhaps, but given we’ve just brought in around 5.5m in sales and cup runs between July and the end of January, he was clearly vital to our play and in turn form, and the odds of us not at least getting our money back at an absolute minimum are incredibly slim... was it a false economy?
Again, you have a point, but I’m still not surprised the money guys didn’t go for it.

Have to agree with this. The money in this season has covered the losses for this season 2019/20 and next season 2020/21. In the summer we are probably going to get another £4-5m selling Dickie and Branagan. So that covers losses for 2021/22 and 2022/23. At some point you have to reinvest and speculate to accumulate. Maybe £1m was too much for Cadden but £250K last summer plus better wages would have clinched it. We should maybe feel fortunate that Derby's FFP alleged errors meant the Dickie move didn't happen either. There would have been a complete meltdown on here if that had happened even though we already had Moore in as replacement and Jones in the wings to step up.

There were plenty of spare seats. If someone wants to behave themselves and quietly watch a game of football, why should we want to throw them out?
You really are something else!

Firstly, we have 44 games this season so 14 games left and 42 points to play for.
You say that we need a minimum of 36 points, which will leave us on 81+. That is exceptionally high for playoff positions and probably 10 points more than needed.
We have home games against Wimbledon, Accrington, Southend, MK Dons, Bristol Rovers and Bolton. It is realistic to expect a minimum of 5 wins from these games. (15 Points)
We have away games against Tranmere and Rochdale which you would realsitically expect wins. (6 points)
This leaves 6 others games, Pompey and Fleetwood (h) Ipswich, Coventry, Wycombe and Shrewsbury (a). Some tricky games so lets say a point a game on average. (6 points)
That would give us 27 points from the remaining 14 games and a total of 72, which should be enough for a playoff space, although we would all like a few more to be sure.

So I have given (by my standards) a fairly realistic and achievable view of our remaining games. Whereas you are throwing in the white towel. We have outplayed teams at the top of the table, and been outplayed ourselves. We have also held our own and battled to some decent results. That doesn't guarantee success, but it certainly doesn't mean that we can't compete.

You can wrap up your hysteria in anyway you wish, but it is frankly pathetic to have already given up with a third of the season still to go.

For goodness sake, it's not hysteria, simply being realistic. Our form over the last 8 games or so has been relegation form. This with kr constantly coming out with comments every week about how the players aren't match but are nearly match fit.
We are currently a nearly team. Nearly scored Saturday, nearly have players match fit, nearly got players we wanted in the transfer window.

Nearly doesn't cut it though, considering how far from grace we have fallen. Fans deserve better, making Tuesday a must win, not a nearly must win.

For goodness sake, it's not hysteria, simply being realistic. Our form over the last 8 games or so has been relegation form. This with kr constantly coming out with comments every week about how the players aren't match but are nearly match fit.
We are currently a nearly team. Nearly scored Saturday, nearly have players match fit, nearly got players we wanted in the transfer window.

Nearly doesn't cut it though, considering how far from grace we have fallen. Fans deserve better, making Tuesday a must win, not a nearly must win.
Fans deserve better? What about Wimbledon fans, don’t they deserve a win too? It’s a competition, you aren’t entitled to success

Fans deserve better? What about Wimbledon fans, don’t they deserve a win too? It’s a competition, you aren’t entitled to success

Every team in every league probably think they deserve better, with maybe the exception of Liverpool and Sheffield United this season.

Can certainly expect better though.

Lovely to have your unerring and stunning optimism on here, Scotchers, but a dose of realism is required. Bookmark your own comment and come back to this when we’ve won three and drawn one of the next four games, (What’s your prediction for Ipswich?) and tell us about the forthcoming fixtures against those feeble Coventry, Portsmouth, Fleetwood and Wycombe teams. Yes, of course we’ll probably beat Southend, Bolton and Tranmere but an incredible turn-round of form is required if we are to overhaul AT LEAST four teams above us and fight off the ones below who will also be thinking the same.

After predicting 10 points from the last 3 games and Southend to come, you challenged me to bookmark this post and come back after the games!

With everything that is going on with Robinson, I thought I'd take a quick opportunity to be smug!!

9 points, 9 goals, 3 clean sheets, and gone from 8 points outside the playoffs to just one point. Pretty good, don't you think?

You also challenge me to predict further results, so I'll go with Wycombe (draw), Portsmouth (draw), Coventry (defeat), Fleetwood (win).

Then with Southend, Shrewsbury, MK Dons, Rochdale, Bristol Rovers, Tranmere and Bolton, I'll say 5 wins and 2 draws. That'll give us 76 points and a playoff place.

Feel free to bookmark this and come back after the games.

After predicting 10 points from the last 3 games and Southend to come, you challenged me to bookmark this post and come back after the games!

With everything that is going on with Robinson, I thought I'd take a quick opportunity to be smug!!

9 points, 9 goals, 3 clean sheets, and gone from 8 points outside the playoffs to just one point. Pretty good, don't you think?

You also challenge me to predict further results, so I'll go with Wycombe (draw), Portsmouth (draw), Coventry (defeat), Fleetwood (win).

Then with Southend, Shrewsbury, MK Dons, Rochdale, Bristol Rovers, Tranmere and Bolton, I'll say 5 wins and 2 draws. That'll give us 76 points and a playoff place.

Feel free to bookmark this and come back after the games.
Fair play on your predictions.
I thought that we would pick up (on the basis that Brannagan, Henry and Taylor have got fit), but not quite as optimistic as you!

...but not quite as optimistic as you!

Few are to be fair!!!

But my highlighting of this was just to show how quickly things can change. When I spoke about needing a minimum of 21 points from the last 14 games that was seen as completely unrealistic. Yet we could well pick up 12 from the first 4 games with some lesser opponents still to come. On wider predictions, @horseman predicted that we would finish on 70 points and Peterborough would get 81. So with 11 games to go, 'boro will average a point a game more than us?

The season is there for the taking, and we have seen 3 different styles of games in the last week, freeflowing against Wimbledon, clinical against Ipswich, and a battling display last night. So there is absolutely no reason why the positive buses won't be out in force in May!!

Back
Top Bottom