Home Match Day Thread 12/01/2021 Papa Johns Trophy OUFC v Cambridge United

Well, was a good run out for some fringe players.

> Moore is looking increasingly comfortable. Centre backs are always about partnerships, Moore is solid with both Long and Atkinson.
> Obita is better on the ball at LB than Ruffels (imo!) and looked to be playing at half pace last night
> Nice to see Brannagan have a run out. When up to speed it will be interesting to see how we accommodate both him and McGuane (if possible!)
> Hanson was steady enough similar to Plymouth. Gorrin just adds a little more energy whilst being more limited on the ball than Hanson
> Agyei on the left is a waste of time. Needs to play as the #9 or cutting in from the right
> Hall just doesn't do it for me. Doesn't do enough off the ball and a little flimsy on it. His best position is #10...but this isn't a formation we've played with any regularity
> Winnall obviously getting up to speed. Writing him off now is silly
> Sykes got into decent positions but lacking end product

For me, Hall doesn’t offer much to the squad but finding him a loan will be tricky as he didn’t do anything of note at FGR. Sykes probably needs a loan playing #8 regularly.

Gorrin more limited on the ball than Hanson? Can't agree with that in the slightest, and certainly not this season. Gorrin passes quicker and more accurately and this season more of his passes appear to be going forward than previously.

Gorrin more limited on the ball than Hanson? Can't agree with that in the slightest, and certainly not this season. Gorrin passes quicker and more accurately and this season more of his passes appear to be going forward than previously.

***Hanson is a little more expansive (for me!). Gorrin plays with urgency and tends to keep it simple (he has added more risk to his passes this season) but there was some cross field stuff from Hanson last night that was decent

***Hanson is a little more expansive (for me!). Gorrin plays with urgency and tends to keep it simple (he has added more risk to his passes this season) but there was some cross field stuff from Hanson last night that was decent
Hanson attempts more crossfield balls and long passes, but Gorrin generally passes it quicker and sharper when he’s going short, keeps it ticking over better and doesn’t give the ball away as much, so we keep possession better when he’s in the team. Depends what you mean by limited I suppose.

Hanson attempts more crossfield balls and long passes, but Gorrin generally passes it quicker and sharper when he’s going short, keeps it ticking over better and doesn’t give the ball away as much, so we keep possession better when he’s in the team. Depends what you mean by limited I suppose.
No criticism of either. Gorrin is superior in the role. Just a personal view...you don’t need Gorrin to do anything hugely expansive if you have Atkinson carrying and Branngan passing.

Any word on when they’re actually going to play the final of last season’s competition?

EDIT: I wonder what will happen first - this season’s or last season’s final. Insane that they didn’t think to just knock last season’s out a few days before the current season started, almost like a final pre-season fixture.

Assuming (and I think it's a fairly safe assumption) that there will be at most a token crowd allowed at Wembley in April - I wonder if they've considered playing a double-header this year?

Play Pompey vs. Salford at 1pm, clear them out by 4, then play this year's final at 5pm?

Might save the EFL some money as they won't have to book Wembley out twice!

Given that the QFs are apparently not regionalized, I expand my "Would rather avoid" list to Peterborough, Hull, Lincoln & Sunderland. With a strong preference for Tranmere/Leicester U21s.

Seems like more of the top League One teams are progressing through the competition this year. Perhaps because with first team bubbles and all that, the temptation to just play half the youth team and essentially throw the game is gone........

Assuming (and I think it's a fairly safe assumption) that there will be at most a token crowd allowed at Wembley in April - I wonder if they've considered playing a double-header this year?

Play Pompey vs. Salford at 1pm, clear them out by 4, then play this year's final at 5pm?

Might save the EFL some money as they won't have to book Wembley out twice!

Given that the QFs are apparently not regionalized, I expand my "Would rather avoid" list to Peterborough, Hull, Lincoln & Sunderland. With a strong preference for Tranmere/Leicester U21s.

Seems like more of the top League One teams are progressing through the competition this year. Perhaps because with first team bubbles and all that, the temptation to just play half the youth team and essentially throw the game is gone........

I expect there won't be any crowd so play it on the same day at 2 separate stadiums. Only the fans of the clubs involved may care so play them at the same time.

I wonder if they've considered playing a double-header this year?

Four lots of fans using the same public transport systems and parking facilities, sitting in the same seats, using the same toilets etc an hour apart?

Could turn it into some poor mans world super cup whereby the winners of the pompey match play the winners of our match. Winner gets free pizza or something.

Four lots of fans using the same public transport systems and parking facilities, sitting in the same seats, using the same toilets etc an hour apart?

I'm assuming no, or only a nominal number of fans are going to be there.

Well, was a good run out for some fringe players.

> Moore is looking increasingly comfortable. Centre backs are always about partnerships, Moore is solid with both Long and Atkinson.
> Obita is better on the ball at LB than Ruffels (imo!) and looked to be playing at half pace last night
> Nice to see Brannagan have a run out. When up to speed it will be interesting to see how we accommodate both him and McGuane (if possible!)
> Hanson was steady enough similar to Plymouth. Gorrin just adds a little more energy whilst being more limited on the ball than Hanson
> Agyei on the left is a waste of time. Needs to play as the #9 or cutting in from the right
> Hall just doesn't do it for me. Doesn't do enough off the ball and a little flimsy on it. His best position is #10...but this isn't a formation we've played with any regularity
> Winnall obviously getting up to speed. Writing him off now is silly
> Sykes got into decent positions but lacking end product

For me, Hall doesn’t offer much to the squad but finding him a loan will be tricky as he didn’t do anything of note at FGR. Sykes probably needs a loan playing #8 regularly.
Blimey if earning the freekick and then brilliantly scoring the winner isnt offering enough for you Im pleased I dont work for you. And he put in a shot that the keeper only just kept out. What did Winall do?

Blimey if earning the freekick and then brilliantly scoring the winner isnt offering enough for you Im pleased I dont work for you. And he put in a shot that the keeper only just kept out. What did Winall do?
One free kick does not a summer make.

Back
Top Bottom