Home Match Day Thread 12/01/2021 Papa Johns Trophy OUFC v Cambridge United

Long was excellent tonight. He’s a valuable asset .
Hall keeps on hanging on in there; admire his tenacity. Sykes ok too.

Cambridge pretty rank though.

We clearly want to go a long way in the pizza cup; we clearly need the money.

On the other hand disappointed to see Clare loaned out. We seriously lack pace.
Don’t agree Cambridge were “rank”, just a good League 2 team made to look average by a better League 1 one.

How many shots did they have? Ineffective team, reminded me of early 2014/2015 Appleton side.
Forest Green far better.

Good to see that we found a way to win despite the lack of rhythm. Felt like to many players were trying to hard to impress rather than doing the simple thing well. I expect pressure to stay in the thoughts of KR during the transfer window is immense

At the beginning of the season Taylor was struggling to find any rhythm with poor crosses and slow build up play. Since we've hit form he has looked back to his old self, even when not scoring. I suspect that Winnall will be the same and will hopefully get 30 mins on Saturday within a settled team to show what he's capable of.

I certainly hope so, tbh at the moment he is at around 25% of what we know he is capable of, I also know if he was at the level that f what we have seen of him in the past then we would be lethal, but at the moment I haven’t seen anything like what we know he is capable of.

Well, was a good run out for some fringe players.

> Moore is looking increasingly comfortable. Centre backs are always about partnerships, Moore is solid with both Long and Atkinson.
> Obita is better on the ball at LB than Ruffels (imo!) and looked to be playing at half pace last night
> Nice to see Brannagan have a run out. When up to speed it will be interesting to see how we accommodate both him and McGuane (if possible!)
> Hanson was steady enough similar to Plymouth. Gorrin just adds a little more energy whilst being more limited on the ball than Hanson
> Agyei on the left is a waste of time. Needs to play as the #9 or cutting in from the right
> Hall just doesn't do it for me. Doesn't do enough off the ball and a little flimsy on it. His best position is #10...but this isn't a formation we've played with any regularity
> Winnall obviously getting up to speed. Writing him off now is silly
> Sykes got into decent positions but lacking end product

For me, Hall doesn’t offer much to the squad but finding him a loan will be tricky as he didn’t do anything of note at FGR. Sykes probably needs a loan playing #8 regularly.

If we're in any way serious about mounting a challenge in the second half of the season, Rob Hall cannot be in the 22 man playing squad; his body just isn't up to it.

We're a professional football club at League 1 level and Rob Hall can no longer perform at that level. It really is that simple.

Any word on when they’re actually going to play the final of last season’s competition?

EDIT: I wonder what will happen first - this season’s or last season’s final. Insane that they didn’t think to just knock last season’s out a few days before the current season started, almost like a final pre-season fixture.

KR saying he doesnt want any more out goings from the squad, so looks like Hall / Sykes will be going nowhere.

If we're in any way serious about mounting a challenge in the second half of the season, Rob Hall cannot be in the 22 man playing squad; his body just isn't up to it.

We're a professional football club at League 1 level and Rob Hall can no longer perform at that level. It really is that simple.
I think it's telling that Rob Hall does just about OK against L2 opposition, because this is his level. You might see the odd flash of inspiration (particularly from dead balls, no doubting his class there), but any L1 defender will have him in his back pocket the whole time. That said, all he can do is take the opportunities when they come.

I think it's telling that Rob Hall does just about OK against L2 opposition, because this is his level. You might see the odd flash of inspiration (particularly from dead balls, no doubting his class there), but any L1 defender will have him in his back pocket the whole time. That said, all he can do is take the opportunities when they come.
You could imagine him going somewhere like Dagenham and becoming a club legend, can't you?

KR saying he doesnt want any more out goings from the squad, so looks like Hall / Sykes will be going nowhere.
He also always wants to complete his transfers early. 😉 Know what I'm saying?

FGR (league 2) didn’t rate him enough to keep him; I’m not sure why we do.

Back
Top Bottom