Away Match Day Thread +++ 11/02/20 Burton Albion v OUFC +++

As well as he played, I always felt Agyei looked short on confidence. Perhaps it’s a result of his put-downs from KR. He has his limitations, but he will develop with time. And also, Mr Robinson, with a pat on the back.

When and what were these "put-downs" by KR?

"He has his limitations, but he will develop with time" from KR - as stated by Horseman is a phrase I seem to recall from many moons ago.
Whereas Mackie is what? - Fully developed and has no limitations? Other than what - his lack of pace or to being unable to score once in a blue moon and his ability to almost guarantee a yellow card. He is a trier, a great motivator and possible future coach BUT what is needed in the team on the field is a regular goal scorer.
I for one, don't believe a regular ONE up front does the team or that striker (whoever he is any favors) especially when the others fail to support. And isn't it odd how whenever we are losing games Kr tries to rearrange the line-up and/or throw everyone and the kitchen sink up front with Brannagan playing in the no 10 role late last night and Agyei alongside Taylor.
Agyei may or not be the answer, but unless he gets regular game time, how does anyone know his potential and how much he might develop further with regular game time. As for the comment of him "developing over time" that must do wonders for his confidence. Just how much time does a professional coaching team need to develop a 24 year old ex Premier league player enough to offer him at least some regular playing opportunities when the alternatives are few and either not up to the job or injured?

From my vantage point behind the goal last night I got the impression that there is a degree of discontent amongst the players.
After Burton’s 1st goal Cam raced back to our goal to give Eastwood a volley of grief and then during the second half Dickie, Long and Eastwood could be seen having a heated exchange.
Then, after the game Robinson comes out in the press to day he has a number of frustrations (not players or fans).

Reading between the lines and from the snippets I get out of my source, I’m convinced the two sales have dampened the spirit of the remaining player squad and management as much as us.

Eastwood's interview on Saturday point towards this as well.

It seems that KR's call to show the world we are a big club with ambition, via transfers want fulfilled.
As the season seems to be falling away, the board will be seen to be in the wrong if we don't kick on from where we were in December.
No amount of spin will win over fans.

That is damned with faint praise if I ever heard it!

Not in the context it was given as KR offered it unprompted without any direct question about Agyei when talking about the team in general. So not quite the picture of hate that some seem to be painting.

One other learning point from last night is that Matty Taylor seems to be fully match fit.
He was alert enough and mobile enough in the 91st minute to score a trademark poacher's goal. Looking forward to seeing him play the full game v Sunderland on Saturday.

No amount of spin will win over fans.
I don't know. I am anxiously waiting for Scotchegg to come on to this thread and explain why a 2-2 draw away at Burton was the best possible result we could have got and provides an inevitable springboard for an assault on the top two, while Robinson takes a few days off to find a cure for the coronavirus and NMcW has been on the Buildbase website ordering large quantities of cheap bricks...

Not in the context it was given as KR offered it unprompted without any direct question about Agyei when talking about the team in general. So not quite the picture of hate that some seem to be painting.

Except he, you know, didn’t even pick him in the squad...

Not in the context it was given as KR offered it unprompted without any direct question about Agyei when talking about the team in general.
Well, it isn't exactly a ringing endorsement is it! :)
'Here's our future star striker that we have signed up for three years. He isn't quite good enough to sit on the bench - but he almost is..."

Well, it isn't exactly a ringing endorsement is it! :)
'Here's our future star striker that we have signed up for three years. He isn't quite good enough to sit on the bench - but he almost is..."

It isn't a putdown though either as what was being claimed. And since Agyei has been used.

So not "put-downs" or true then. I've heard a number of positive comments by KR on Rad Ox interviews. Only the other week, KR said in his interview that Agyei was unlucky not to be on the bench.
He mentioned him in the media interview on ifollow..the specific comment to Jerome was in respect of confidence of players that had been in winning sides previously hence KR focussing on MT performance in radox interview.

First things first as Sarge predicted there was of course a late goal - thanks for that. However, as late as the equaliser was we are again very slow at setting a front foot tempo something that was prominent earlier in the season. Reason's... probably too many to list here as we will all have a different angle on things. The game itself was a lot better when the yellows came out for the second half and from KRs comments this was evident with a 15 minute period when our style of pressing passing football pinned Burton on the back foot and a goal actually came from this. However, with a sigh we then stepped off the pedal (again) and let them back in with a goal. Why we do this I cannot quite fathom this out. Is it a sub conscious trait that has infected our squad of late? But fortunately we came again and probably could have pinched it something I did to my face several times (why though) during the game without the hurt such was the extremely biting gusts of Icy winds. 2-2 it was and it sort of helped the journey back home-but was it a decent point in the end... probably. We are not out of the hunt by no means but there is doubt and personally to my mind I'm probably reading too much into things but I would be unhappy if the upstair management have curtailed the ambitions a little as you cannot always engineer a time when you (the board) want success and when you (the board) see fit. It rarely ever will happen that way. This year has probably come to soon so there has been a rethink (in my mind) so to balance expectation a sale had to happen and perhaps in true Chris Wilder style...Karl has been told to go again with a less well stocked squad and he (Robinson) has got his work cut out appeasing the support by knowing the squad has the today's look of a side who will probably fall short of a play off place. Again my thoughts entirely - I believe the board know/feels this and KR knows/feels this but he possibly has a remit of keeping the club as closely involved as possible and if he does manage to pinch the last spot well done...and if he doesn't then we go again next season with another set of projected targets and KR isn't silly to realise that our fan base as knowledgeable as they are (some in the camp of let's go up with others happy to stay put) will get uneasy whichever way the boards coin lands.

My take Fwiw is to get over the line this season and claim a play off place, get to wembo and this time at Wembley especially with our younger generation of support win the b*stard for them. This maybe could be the best chance we ever get in the near future because of my earlier shout of thinking that many football owner's think they can engineer and angle the start and finish date of any 'planned' promotion. And as I've already said previously it really does rarely happen that or this way.

I'm no expert but how do I think the club would cope in monetary terms in the championship...again my favourite word is probably- so not overly brilliant on that score. However, (my take) the club could offer to our senior player's a reasonably significant pay rise that's akin to I believe a couple of clubs in the premier League whereas their pay rise will revert back to championship levels should the club be relegated. Ours obviously would be a championship salary reverting back to a lge 1 salary if this was to occur...a bit like a protected no claims bonus lol. This is something that may help prepare a club like ours to combat any possible future problems or extinction. Strong word but it is what it is.

Income would for a season or two increase robustly from where we are today with gates of over 10k+ virtually guaranteed for 95% of our home games. Given these figures - this would probably over the 23 home games supply a nucleus of way over 120k+ per game on top of the season tickets sold + advertising/TV etc which would also increase for the likes of championship football - that would support in some way towards increases in salary for the majority of the first team plus the turnover of a player or two going out the other way for the expected large balancing act of a fee to support the club in its staid stance of being a selling club whilst hopefully supporting the Oxfordshire public who support this team through thick and thin.

I for one with one eye on the fiscal side of things would welcome a change of scenery asap even if it did have some similarities of being a yo yo club (Rotherham to name one) and give this club and area a boost for sport that over the hard season's this club has had to bloody well work hard for. It is our time now to have some more upward success and if Wycombe are planning for it then we should be at least looking to emulate anything the chair covers are looking to do!

I really do hope I am so wide of the mark in many ways and that we have a decent and successful run in and this long drawn out text is pure sh*te lol.

But I've unfortunately seen some of this policital football malaise before somewhere?

Coyy's.

• React
Reactions: UTM
Of course it isn't weird at all.

The guy playing in his position, instead of him, doesn't score goals, adds little else of significant benefit. The vast majority of those watching can see that.

No one is saying Agyei is a world beater, but almost every time he has come on he has added something to the team performance.... And, quite importantly, actually scores goals, as well as creating opportunities for other goals.

The very weird thing, is KRs reluctance to play him. I dont buy at all any line that he is easing a young, inexperienced, player into the team.
It is. A player we've barely seen, a player who has not been on the bench and with great potential is built up (for whatever reason) to be the player that will sort our season out.

It's weird. Comparing Mackie and Agyei is unfair on both.

Any player has to earn game time first on the training pitch, has to buy into the structure, etc. KR has beaten this drum time and time again in his time as manager which is why he have had games with empty spaces on the bench, so it's not that hard to understand.

So not "put-downs" or true then. I've heard a number of positive comments by KR on Rad Ox interviews. Only the other week, KR said in his interview that Agyei was unlucky not to be on the bench.
OK, be perverse. You know exactly what I mean. Every time he doesn’t play Agyei when the situation is screaming out for it is a ‘put down.’

“Picture of hate”? Eh, are you serious?

OK, be perverse. You know exactly what I mean. Every time he doesn’t play Agyei when the situation is screaming out for it is a ‘put down.’

No it isn't a 'put down' otherwise every time he doesn't pick any player it is a 'put down' for that player.

Back
Top Bottom