Away Match Day Thread 10/10/2020 L1 Gillingham v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
At times in games he was our only outlet, I remember early on in his time with us he was constantly free but we didn’t find him, then we started passing to him and he was by far our biggest threat. He also had multiple good crosses that just weren’t turned in as at the time we had no Matty Taylor snuffling around the box.

He was great and I’d have him back in a shot - quick, strong, tall, loved to get forward but was ok at defending, could sling a great low cross in

I used to wonder why he wasn’t used that often

Jesus, you've slept on it, and you're still whinging?!? :rolleyes::sleep:

Throughout a season, a goalkeepers mistakes will cost you games, but his saves will also win you games, and Simon Eastwood is no exception.

Yes, he's made mistakes, but are you going to deny that he saved us points, and won us games in the league last season, or got us to the quarter finals of the league cup, and the final of the playoffs, with his saves?

If we're gonna drop Eastwood because of his mistakes this season, then we've got to drop the whole backline, for the same reason, but do we have the players with the relevant experience at the moment to replace them, unfortunately not, so it's a risk.

Steven's is getting games in cup games this season that he wasn't before, so Robbo obviously feels it's time to start progressing him, and has praised him for his progress, and has said he's now in a position to genuinely push Eastwood for the no1 spot, but maybe Robbo, who see's the players in training every day, doesn't feel Steven is quite ready to step up to being a league one goalkeeper yet, as let's face it, he's still a very inexperienced goalkeeper, especially at league one level, and it's a big step up from hardly ever being used, even in tinpot games, to suddenly being no1 in a league one side, and hopefully this is the season when he'll get the game time, to gain the relevant experience, to then step up and take his chance when it comes.

For what it's worth, I have repeatedly said in previous posts throughout last season, and at the start of this season, that I thought Stevens should've been used in ALL league cup, and tin pot cup games, so he could gain the relevant senior first team experience to genuinely challenge Eastwood, and maybe if that had happened, he'd already be our no1 goalkeeper by now, but as it stands, he's got virtually no experience as a senior goalkeeper at all, let alone a league one keeper, and is that Robbo's fault, for not giving him game time in cup games, and progressing him sooner? Maybe.

As I've also said, repeatedly, I'd be all for Jack Stevens being given his chance to stake his claim for the no1 spot right now, but I'm not going to drag Simon Eastwood's name through the mud in the process, as he doesn't deserve it.

Yeah, still whinging, because I don’t agree with you?

Robinson hasn’t fancied Stevens, that’s why he’s not played. That said, Eastwood cannot keep making mistakes

Yeah, still whinging, because I don’t agree with you?

Robinson hasn’t fancied Stevens, that’s why he’s not played. That said, Eastwood cannot keep making mistakes
?neither can any of em, let's move on eh?

It’s clear that for some, a keeper making a string of errors over a few games in a row is a cause for concern - and for some it’s not. Not much point in arguing further about it, but I think those criticising Eastwood’s current form are actually recognising that he used to be so, so much better - saying ‘League One keepers make mistakes, it’s perfectly normal’ is doing his previous form for us a disservice - I certainly don’t ever remember a period where he made so many big errors over a short period of games. He used to be both a great shot stopper, and almost error free (apart from the odd one, which happens to any keeper) - and now it feels like he drops a clanger every other game.

He was head and shoulders above anyone else we had or have had since, and was the most effective right back in the country for chances created outside of Trent Alexander-Arnold - Shosho ran and posted the stats at the time. He was integral to how we played. His pace and energy, and his dynamism going forward were excellent - he drove the other team back and stopped them attacking us because he was such a threat himself. The Scotland manager was personally watching him towards the end of his spell here.

For the last month before he went he was being publicly pressured by KR, and being told it was up to him to strike a deal to stay, and that he’d made a mistake going to America in the first place etc. Wasn’t very helpful for a young lad getting ready to move thousands of miles away, to have his manager putting all that on him in the media. I was put in touch with the player to offer help in getting him set up over there, because I have contacts in Columbus who own property and so forth. So while he was getting publicly pressured into staying, and everybody was being told it was on him to tell them he wanted to stay here, and the usual foam finger brigade were saying it was potentially on and it was close to being sorted etc, he was in the process of sorting a place to live in a new country. Because that was the deal since the day he signed. Still, doing things right and behaving with integrity and player mental health and so on.

Anyway. Was he the best right back we’ve had since Gorgeous George? Probably. Was he markedly better than what we’ve had since he left? Absolutely no question. Not sure that constitutes an obsession, merely an acknowledgment that Clare or Long aren’t as good as he was.

Re: Cadden, he was one of the top creators in the league. That’s obviously tough to replace, but was he worth the 1mill quoted? To think there’s only one player in Cadden’s style is obviously wrong. Now working a bit in football I’ve seen the work/quality that other EFL clubs put into recruitment...I hope we match it but as always, I’m slightly concerned as to who does the deals (have made my feelings known on this!)

Signing Clare was a gamble And I had plenty of reservations before hand (think I initially put we are reliant on a solid CB to talk him though it alongside an intelligent DM). We are trusting the coaching set up with the development of Clare but that back line has always been a concern.

I can’t remember the last decent permanent RB we had. It’s a position we just perennially find a loan for. I think we should upgrade Ruffels at some point and relying on Atkinson to be league one ready is clearly a lottery. That’s without the argument of numbers. It could of course all come together nicely, but at the minute defensively we look a little ropey

Re: Cadden, he was one of the top creators in the league. That’s obviously tough to replace, but was he worth the 1mill quoted? To think there’s only one player in Cadden’s style is obviously wrong.
We knew what we had with him and how much it mattered to the results, and I think that’s when you’re able to judge what someone’s value is, isn’t it? There might be more like him in principle, but you need to first of all identify them, second of all actually manage to obtain them, and third of all hope that they fit in with the team on and off the pitch once you do the first two. If you get three ticks, surely it’s only then that you can really assess the value of a player?

I would be extremely curious to know who is primarily responsible for ensuring we actually have defenders on the radar, how much time we dedicate to looking for them versus other positions, what criteria they’re judged on and by whom versus players in a foreword position etc. Are we told to not really worry about them? Are they equally represented in reports but put on the back burner? Do we have people involved in the process who know what they’re looking for as well as they do when judging attackers?

Crewe is now a massive game with Posh away on Saturday, lose that and the nasty drums will start beating for KR head. We have to stay calm and support the lads who are playing no matter who they are. Its a different game, 2-0 will take us above the scum, so lets all be possitive.

Re: Cadden, he was one of the top creators in the league. That’s obviously tough to replace, but was he worth the 1mill quoted? To think there’s only one player in Cadden’s style is obviously wrong. Now working a bit in football I’ve seen the work/quality that other EFL clubs put into recruitment...I hope we match it but as always, I’m slightly concerned as to who does the deals (have made my feelings known on this!)

Signing Clare was a gamble And I had plenty of reservations before hand (think I initially put we are reliant on a solid CB to talk him though it alongside an intelligent DM). We are trusting the coaching set up with the development of Clare but that back line has always been a concern.

I can’t remember the last decent permanent RB we had. It’s a position we just perennially find a loan for. I think we should upgrade Ruffels at some point and relying on Atkinson to be league one ready is clearly a lottery. That’s without the argument of numbers. It could of course all come together nicely, but at the minute defensively we look a little ropey
Probably Les Robinson.

When people talk of Chris Cadden they forget that he was pretty ropey defensively when he first arrived. It was Gorrin moving to a deeper role, and Mous coming back into the side that tightened up our defence and gave Cadden the freedom to play further up the pitch.

Sean Clare has been poor, and is nowhere near the level Chris Cadden was, but he hasn't had the protection needed to play to his strengths.

Hopefully getting a bit of bite and experience back in the side will take the pressure off and things will final click into place.

Clare is clearly a round peg in a square hole position wise. Robinson is stubborn. He believes he knows where a player fits. I can’t believe he hasn’t had the same lightbulb moment a ton of us fans have. I dare say he’s also stubborn about Eastwood too. Sometimes you just have to hold your hands up and say I got it wrong.

this forum is actually more frustrating than that game. If we had taken 2/3 of them guilt edge chances and won 4-3 their would be none of this negativity.

We did not play badly today, 9/10 times we win that game today, we didnt and its a shame. It was very similar to blackpool away last season, we were comfortably the better side and lost, same today.

Those saying we are sh*t need to take a look at themselves. We probably wont play much better than that all season, we will play much worse and lose.

We did not defend well and that does need to be rectified quickly.
Doesn't give me confidence saying that "we will play much worse and lose" ;)

Doesn't give me confidence saying that "we will play much worse and lose" ;)
Definite typo my bad! was supposed to be play worse and win and there will be people saying how well we have played.

Came across this on Twitter..

Any one able to work out what Robinson is saying?!

The one thing I keep pride in is keeping a level of standards, never drop below due to frustration, never drop below due to fatigue, never drop below if it's not going your way. It's not in our DNA, it's not central within this football club, you keep passing, you keep rotating, you keep getting shots, crosses and if you don't believe you can win the game and I'm asking you now as a f*****g man stay in your chair. And beat the Swindon scum.

Came across this on Twitter..

Any one able to work out what Robinson is saying?!

Saw this on Twitter and not sure I'm ok with it. I'm pretty firmly of the belief that what happens in the dressing room stays in the dressing room - the manager needs to be able to dig out his players / talk to them in private without risk of what he's saying being broadcast to the world. I don't think the filmer should have uploaded the video at all, but that's beside the point really. How can some kid with a camera phone be in a position to record what's being said behind closed doors? How can the facilities be that poor / easily accessed? KR's pretty lucky what's being said is fairly generic manager talk, too - can you imagine if he was absolutely chewing out one individual player, having chosen to take a more diplomatic tone publicly? It could destroy a player's confidence.

Saw this on Twitter and not sure I'm ok with it. I'm pretty firmly of the belief that what happens in the dressing room stays in the dressing room - the manager needs to be able to dig out his players / talk to them in private without risk of what he's saying being broadcast to the world. I don't think the filmer should have uploaded the video at all, but that's beside the point really. How can some kid with a camera phone be in a position to record what's being said behind closed doors? How can the facilities be that poor / easily accessed? KR's pretty lucky what's being said is fairly generic manager talk, too - can you imagine if he was absolutely chewing out one individual player, having chosen to take a more diplomatic tone publicly? It could destroy a player's confidence.

Totally agree. Someone should be in some real trouble over this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom