Home Match Day Thread +++ 10/04/2018 OUFC v Fleetwood Town Match Day Thread +++

Raglan was only ever an ok performer, some good games, some meh ones - like Hemmings we are possibly over speculating the influence they would be having were they not out on loan, but they are. If we are playing the 'what if?' game then what if Hall and Nelson didn't get injured?....likelihood would be we would be securely mid table and there would be a thread on here discussing which players PEP (shudder) will get next season.......lets play a new game: what's worse? - being in the sh*t with a decent manager or safe with a sh*t manager?
(you gotta love being an Oxford fan!) ?

From what I've seen, Port Vale fans aren't rating Raglan and it looks like he's been forced out to RB for them. May have something to do with their league position I guess.
Seriously not sure that Raglan is the answer. Sometimes players seem better when they are not here ...
Now if Nelson is fit ....

It's more the goal scoring that's our problem, it seemed like we had 100 chances to their 1 last night, that ball did not want to go in.

Every player was giving 100% and We played some good football at times, but our ball control let us down.

We got increasingly more desperate to score and that stretched us to the point that Conor(which always seems to happen with ex players) scored the winner.

We've got what we've got and despite the gut wrenching result KR seems to be getting the best out of that. if Curtis is fit I think our Captain will be back for a couple of games and that will help, fingernails it is though

I was at the game last night and Saturday, I haven’t read previous comments on this thread, but Obika is he the worst forward to have played for us, and yes there are some woeful contenders, I am not a fan of Thomas, but he did ok, generally, however he should have scored one or two, we have 2 very very poor finishers, Ledson, particularly in the last 2 games has been poor, his shooting has been diobolical, passing some very good some very poor,
We were the best team last night, but we can’t score. I dispare at our shots on goal. We tried to win and got caught out with 2 many people going forward, and too slow at getting back, for the goal it was 3 v 3 our midfield don’t get back quickly enough. After last nights performance we look too good to go down, but if we don’t score we will

Having mulled on it last night and this morning, the team cannot get too down over last night. It was a very, very disappointing to concede when we did, but it was one of the few times we didn't defend properly. Structurally, the team is looking more organised as each game goes by, but we now need to see the end results to that.

This team is very capable of getting points in the games for the rest of the season. We lack a little belief in front of goal and a little luck, If they keep working as hard as they have been, we will be fine. It's not time for heads to go down or people to feel sorry for themselves. Back to work and keeping a positive mindset.

Hopefully Nelson getting some game time this week will help him to get nearer to the pitch. What a boost that would be.

The best team lost last night. I would happily give up all of last summers signings just to have kept McAleny. His willingness and ability to shoot from outside the box is exactly what we’re missing.

Ledson had 4 or 5 shocking attempts from about 25 yards. His passing was also very sloppy, particularly in the second half. However, he pushed and harried and kept at it, which is great. Otherwise I think the midfield was excellent. I’d like to see Rothwell play more as a number 10. I thought he should’ve been our man of the match last night. The angle for the shot he missed was tighter than it looked, but for the rest of the time he was on the pitch he was giving it 110%. He does what so many in the team seem freightened to do, he runs at opposition players. He’s often been our only attacking threat in the last few months.

Obika seems lost; other than his physical strength he seems to have nothing in his arsenal. His feet don’t seem to be connected to his brain. If Thomas had Obika’s strength, you’d have a reasonable striker. Getting a couple of goalscorers in over the summer has got to be the priority. Last night would’ve been perfect Danny Hilton territory! Christian Doidge, Mohamed Eisa, or dare I even say it; Matty Taylor, who really doesn’t seem to cut it in the Championship, but tears League One apart, are the sort of options we should be looking at.

Mouse is a liability,how didn’t they score from his shite backpass, he does it 3 or 4 times a game, we’ve got a behind closed doors game to get Nelson fit, drop our captain and get Nelson on.

We tend to pick on his failings but overall the last few games I truly think he has been miles better. They could have scored from his mistake but didn't, last night he has far more assured and stepped in on many occasions impressively.

I am not saying he is the answer but he is not the answer to why we are struggling, we were defensively strong both Saturday and last night and there is little anyone can do about the goal to be honest from a defensive perspective

For me it was absolutely gutting. If just one of those chances had been finished off we could have got,something from the game. I left just before the whistle and missed McAleney scoring. Had to be him didn’t it. My fault for forecasting it earlier.
There seems to be some coherence in the team now, and even though we haven’t had the results we’ve deserved perhaps, I’m sure we will have enough to stay clear of the drop zone. Karl Robinson’s record of two points from fifteen looks dire but I think we just need that elusive win. I’ll only be worried if we lose again on Saturday, as with Blackburn and Wigan that could mean nothing from those two.
Three of the bottom four are looking nailed on to go down now. Even though a lot of those players know they won’t be at the club next season, they will have to maintain standards otherwise their careers will suffer.
I’m sure if we stay up they will be a restructure of the management. I hope it’s in League One, but if it’s League Two it will surely only be for one season.
So long as we get behind the club as we did last night the points will get chalked up to ensure survival
Completely agree with all that.

I know it's sounds bullish but if we do end up in next season in league two I completely agree it will surely be for only one season.

This season has been garbage. But we have an exciting future ahead no matter what league we are in.

I wonder how we will all be feeling this time next year? It's the reason we all support this club. COYY

Since Robinson came in we are defending as a whole team so much better, getting lots of bodies behind the ball when the opposition has possession, this work ethic was epitomised by Wes Thomas who I thought put in a real shift last night, tracking back to help out In the leftback position on several occasions. Just hasn’t had his goal scoring boots on in the last couple of games.

Looked like a diamond formation in midfield to me which worked well, interesting to see Mowatt on the right and Ledson on the left, both cutting inside. This left us quite narrow at times but on the whole the formation worked well. There was plenty of movement and fluidity and aggression from the midfield four, just lacking composure/confidence when in shooting range.

To my eyes Obika is plainly not fit, I suspect he’s playing with an injury. From what I’ve seen of Mehmeti he doesn’t look up to League 2 standard let alone League 1, a clone of Dean Smalley, hope I’m proved wrong. We lack so much pace up front.

Clotet left us with a totally unbalanced squad.

Good to see Nelson back in the matchday squad.

I think we’re about 60/40 in favour of staying up. Going to be very tight.

I do worry now that the players KR will want to keep Easty, Lego, Rothwell, Hall, Brannigan Dickie and Nelson may have some serious thoughts if they want to play for us no matter how good KR comes across will they want to remain here next season.

The first thing for KR on Monday 7th May is to get them P45’s ready the first four have to be for our strikers sorry I mean the four that play up front.

Last night worried me. Perhaps I'm the only one ? Ledson is playing to far forward so on the break against us he was out of position time and time again .his passing is not his asset nor definitely his shooting .just sit him in front of the back four and stay there ..
Robinson for me the jury will be out till the end of the season though his passion is excellent .but why bring obika on he's been terrible . Nappa would of changed it up top .they had two huge but slow center backs .
I'm not convinced were staying up and honestly believe the next two games are a must win .

Absolutely gutting result last night. We played very well indeed. And not in the Pep stylee "lots of passing from side to side" that everyone raved about earlier in the season. But real positive organised football.

But you look at the difference. When Fleetwood were able to bring on Madden and McAleny, we could bring on big John, who is starting to remind me of Steve Anthrobus.

The decision not to sign a striker (i dont believe we ever had a chance of Cole or Moore) was lunacy. To leave Hemmings likewise. He was not a worldbeater, but was at least an option.

I cant see another win this season unfortunately. Were just so toothless in the box that theres no easy answer.

After last night, i think were down.

Come on Kip, chin up, 5 games left to play. This team can win.

I was at the game and to give him some credit Agon ran their big CB ragged, he was puffing like a steam train within 35 minutes, when he went off to be replaced by slow JO ? that CB must have breathed a huge sigh of relief. Gino may of been the better option.

Raglan was only ever an ok performer, some good games, some meh ones - like Hemmings we are possibly over speculating the influence they would be having were they not out on loan, but they are. If we are playing the 'what if?' game then what if Hall and Nelson didn't get injured?....likelihood would be we would be securely mid table and there would be a thread on here discussing which players PEP (shudder) will get next season.......lets play a new game: what's worse? - being in the sh*t with a decent manager or safe with a sh*t manager?
(you gotta love being an Oxford fan!) ?
I’m trying not to be too pessimistic about what’ll happen if the worst does come to pass but part of me can’t help wondering if KR will stick around. There’s probably a vacancy At Scunthorpe at the moment that might seem tempting. I know Robinson’s light has dimmed a bit at the moment and another relegation on the cv won’t help but he would still fit the bill for a lot of league 1 clubs looking for a decent young experienced coach. The other thing to bear in mind is will all this much promised additional investment still happen if we’re down in league 2? We haven’t had much detail as to how this is all going to be financed if we stay in league 1 let alone l2.. The uncertainty just highlights the importance of getting that elusive win.

Having mulled on it last night and this morning, the team cannot get too down over last night. It was a very, very disappointing to concede when we did, but it was one of the few times we didn't defend properly. Structurally, the team is looking more organised as each game goes by, but we now need to see the end results to that.

This team is very capable of getting points in the games for the rest of the season. We lack a little belief in front of goal and a little luck, If they keep working as hard as they have been, we will be fine. It's not time for heads to go down or people to feel sorry for themselves. Back to work and keeping a positive mindset.

Hopefully Nelson getting some game time this week will help him to get nearer to the pitch. What a boost that would be.
Agree Gary.
The players need to play like they did last night on Saturday (and with as much commitment as the past two games which has been immense).
There is not an awful lot more that KR can do with the personnel at his disposal. We need to keep putting crosses in, having shots and hoping that when we do get chances they fall to the right players and are put away.
If Nelson is fit then he will be a bonus but a risk at the same time as he clearly won't be match fit.
I can see why Ledson is being played more forward than CB as he is pressing the other sides defenders and making it uncomfortable for much of the time. The problem is that shooting is not Ryan's strong point and in each game he gets- opportunities where he either shoots (poorly) or lays the ball off.
Has anybody heard whether Rothwell is injured?
We could do with Henry back Saturday as he has scored 8 this season and does give some goalscoring threat.

Back
Top Bottom