Home Match Day Thread +++ 10/04/2018 OUFC v Fleetwood Town Match Day Thread +++

One of the more positive things of the past few games is how much more involved our midfield have been. We have a lot of work to do, but we're seeing a midfield that is hard to play against and with a quicker pace of play, we're not so stuck passing the ball around in our own half. Brannagan is looking a lot more comfortable and match fit and Lego, while still a bit Forrest Gump at times, is starting to make an impact with the ball.

What we aren't doing though is creating lots of good quality chances. While we had more shots last night, the quality of them were risible hacks that went wide.

In and around the ground, our support has been superb. I have no doubt that our players, management and staff are acutely aware that, as fans, we've decided to ignore how we've got to this position and are providing our unwavering support from the stands. In return, they are giving us everything.

The atmosphere at the last two home games has been hugely impressive. It seems to me, as fans, we are literally prepared to drag this side out of trouble and I think we will contribute to making that happen. Likewise, I think the players and management are equally prepared to drag the supporters to safety. Together, that points to us all doing what we should, helping each other for the betterment of the club.

We all know come the Summer, KR will re-build. We must make sure that we help him get to a position where he can recruit in League One.

There have been a number of huge positives.

Effectively two clean sheets for 180 minutes. Performances of pure determination and commitment - that midfield last night worked as hard as they could. We are seeing Rob Dickie put in some remarkable performances for a young centre-back, Eastwood is returning to form, Todd Kane impressive. We've also had our share of luck (Henry's handball on the line vs Scunthorpe and Penalty Decisions going in our favour vs Oldham).

Work hard and support hard and we will get luck, with luck we will see some results.

I have never heard the stadium fall silence like it did last night, yet the players got deservedly applauded off. No shouting, no abuse and no booing.

For those on social media who 'GAVE UP' weeks ago, we have got so much to play for. We all need to stick together during games.

My only criticism of last night, AND DID I BEG for Gino to come on late on to use his pace, was his apparent refusal, having the side lost the ball just inside their half, to run and cover his shattered midfield and defence - rather stood still looking at McAleny front up our defence. That was criminal and is right up there with Issac on Saturday - completely unacceptable for a player who had been on for less than six minutes.

That said, we will get results over the next two games and coupled with a tough run-in for those beneath us, I believe we will have enough.

In and around the ground, our support has been superb. I have no doubt that our players, management and staff are acutely aware that, as fans, we've decided to ignore how we've got to this position and are providing our unwavering support from the stands. In return, they are giving us everything.

The atmosphere at the last two home games has been hugely impressive. It seems to me, as fans, we are literally prepared to drag this side out of trouble and I think we will contribute to making that happen. Likewise, I think the players and management are equally prepared to drag the supporters to safety. Together, that points to us all doing what we should, helping each other for the betterment of the club.

We all know come the Summer, KR will re-build. We must make sure that we help him get to a position where he can recruit in League One.

There have been a number of huge positives.

Effectively two clean sheets for 180 minutes. Performances of pure determination and commitment - that midfield last night worked as hard as they could. We are seeing Rob Dickie put in some remarkable performances for a young centre-back, Eastwood is returning to form, Todd Kane impressive. We've also had our share of luck (Henry's handball on the line vs Scunthorpe and Penalty Decisions going in our favour vs Oldham).

Work hard and support hard and we will get luck, with luck we will see some results.

I have never heard the stadium fall silence like it did last night, yet the players got deservedly applauded off. No shouting, no abuse and no booing.

For those on social media who 'GAVE UP' weeks ago, we have got so much to play for. We all need to stick together during games.

My only criticism of last night, AND DID I BEG for Gino to come on late on to use his pace, was his apparent refusal, having the side lost the ball just inside their half, to run and cover his shattered midfield and defence - rather stood still looking at McAleny front up our defence. That was criminal and is right up there with Issac on Saturday - completely unacceptable for a player who had been on for less than six minutes.

That said, we will get results over the next two games and coupled with a tough run-in for those beneath us, I believe we will have enough.

Couldn’t agree more re Van Kessel, either he’s lazy or a not very intelligent footballer. I suspect it’s a bit of both. If he had been on from the start you could understand, compare to Thomas who was tracking back to help out at left back.

Couldn’t agree more re Van Kessel, either he’s lazy or a not very intelligent footballer. I suspect it’s a bit of both. If he had been on from the start you could understand, compare to Thomas who was tracking back to help out at left back.

The frustrating thing is, you don’t require talent to run. Even if you can barely kick a ball, running and making an effort is not reliant on ability.

The frustrating thing is, you don’t require talent to run. Even if you can barely kick a ball, running and making an effort is not reliant on ability.

Quite, some players you can forgive because they make up for it by scoring a shed load of goals every season. Van Kessel appears to have a complete lack of awareness of what is going on around him and other parts of the pitch.

However if he scores the winner against Southend I’ll be celebrating & applauding. I don’t rate Van Kessel or Mehmeti but I’m desperate for them to play well when they’d pull on the yellow shirt.

Wasnt Watt the guy who once won some strange ‘search for a striker’ competition set up by The Sun newspaper?

Edit: His name was Steve Watts and it was a long time ago!

Last edited:
I was at the game last night and Saturday, I haven’t read previous comments on this thread, but Obika is he the worst forward to have played for us, and yes there are some woeful contenders, I am not a fan of Thomas, but he did ok, generally, however he should have scored one or two, we have 2 very very poor finishers, Ledson, particularly in the last 2 games has been poor, his shooting has been diobolical, passing some very good some very poor,
We were the best team last night, but we can’t score. I dispare at our shots on goal. We tried to win and got caught out with 2 many people going forward, and too slow at getting back, for the goal it was 3 v 3 our midfield don’t get back quickly enough. After last nights performance we look too good to go down, but if we don’t score we will

You’re obviously too young to have watched a legend (in the wrong way) a mr Steve anthrobus. However I agree Obika is a close 2nd.
The ability to finish is an odd skill in football because you’d think, as it’s basically kicking the ball in the right place, every player can do it. However it’s actually more like dribbling with the ball and going passed players. In that some players can but many can’t. It doesn’t make them bad players it’s just that a natural ability to finish is rare, a bit like players who seem to ghost round / through players.
I’m afraid you only have to watch the warm up to realise we have very few players that are good at finishing.
Poor finishers make keepers look good. Either the shot doesn’t have enough pace or it’s within the keepers range.
Ironically one of the best finishers we’ve had in recent years was Conor :-(

You’re obviously too young to have watched a legend (in the wrong way) a mr Steve anthrobus. However I agree Obika is a close 2nd.
The ability to finish is an odd skill in football because you’d think, as it’s basically kicking the ball in the right place, every player can do it. However it’s actually more like dribbling with the ball and going passed players. In that some players can but many can’t. It doesn’t make them bad players it’s just that a natural ability to finish is rare, a bit like players who seem to ghost round / through players.
I’m afraid you only have to watch the warm up to realise we have very few players that are good at finishing.
Poor finishers make keepers look good. Either the shot doesn’t have enough pace or it’s within the keepers range.
Ironically one of the best finishers we’ve had in recent years was Conor :-(
The great Johnny Aldridge was the best finisher I’ve seen in an Oxford shirt. His speed of thought in the penalty box was unbelievable. He had so much composure, he could wrong foot the opposition defence and keeper in an instant and just made goal scoring look so easy. Also not afraid to go in where it hurts if it meant he’d notch another one. His namesake Martin was also a good finisher, an expert at attacking the near post area with perfect timing. This obviously relied upon good service into the box which he got from the likes of Joey Beauchamp and Mark Angel. Players who could put wicked crosses into the right areas. Something, to be fair to our current strikers, that’s lacking somewhat now.

I dont think he is not very intelligent footballer. I think he works hard and is very quick.

We were a bogey side to Wimbledon. They then turned it around. Surely we can do the same.

Back
Top Bottom