Home Match Day Thread 1/12/2020 L1 OUFC v Ipswich Town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Roy Burton was before my time and I don’t remember much about Alan Judge. Phil Whitehead was better, other than that he’s up there with any other established keeper we had.
Roy Burton was an astonishing keeper inasmuch that he must have been about five inches shorter than most. He was nonetheless fabulously agile and pulled off some unbelievable saves. Really solid.

He (Lundon) also played to to the nickname when out in Ox on a night.

Always used to be with Mark Watson in DTM’s. Us being the impressionable younger ones that we were couldn’t help but break into the chant much to his delight!

Character OUFC keepers must include mention of Billy Turley. Wonder what he's doing now?

Roy Burton was an astonishing keeper inasmuch that he must have been about five inches shorter than most. He was nonetheless fabulously agile and pulled off some unbelievable saves. Really solid.
Always remember him picking the ball up with one hand from the top to place it for goal kicks; his kicking was the weakest part of his game. The stretching exercises prior to kick-off were something to see, just a remarkably flexible athlete. Never seen a keeper as good for us, just nicks it from Jimmy Barron; that save from David Munks against Sheffield United was unbelievable (and caught on MOTD to top it off).

Always remember him picking the ball up with one hand from the top to place it for goal kicks; his kicking was the weakest part of his game. The stretching exercises prior to kick-off were something to see, just a remarkably flexible athlete. Never seen a keeper as good for us, just nicks it from Jimmy Barron; that save from David Munks against Sheffield United was unbelievable (and caught on MOTD to top it off).
Yes remember staying up to watch it with my Dad and Gramp as a nipper. Graham Atkinson and John Shuker scored in a 2-1 win. The Blades had a decent keeper too, Alan Hodgkinson no less!!

Alan Judge, Steve Hardwick, Paul Gerard & Phil Whitehead were the best I’ve seen for us since I’ve been attending.

Ryan Clarke just shades Eastwood for me.

Paul Gerrard (unfortunately only on loan - from Everton I think) at the end of the nineties was our best since Barron. Pure class and some way ahead of our current incumbent.

For comedy value, who remembers Paul Lundin and Mike Salmon
emoji85.png
Mike Salmon- in goal for the unwanted record of the biggest home defeat ( at the Manor v Birmingham City) , only supassed by the 7-0 drubbing at the breeze block, by Wigan , under Clotet

Didn't Hucker end up at Man Utd on loan during his time with us? Can't remember if he left us for anyone else, but seem to remember him dropping out of the professional game pretty quickly afterwards.
Don't think he (Hucker) went anywhere in particular after us. I thought he was pretty hopeless tbh. His kicking was genuinely appalling. Whitehead best keeper we have had imo. Better than Burton. Barron before my time. But Hardwick was the best organiser of a back four. I thought Lundin was actually decent (and no, I'm not joking). Technically he was very good. Just not very interested. For those who can remember, Paul Reece and Richard Knight were two utterly useless keepers in two dreadful teams. People who know zip about goalkeepers confuse shot stopping with being a keeper. Those two were rubbish. Hence their non careers after we released them. Eastwood has been a really good L1 keeper. But I think the injury has probably finished him. Mobility or confidence. Or a bit of both. We'll know if Stevens is good enough by January.

Paul Gerrard (unfortunately only on loan - from Everton I think) at the end of the nineties was our best since Barron. Pure class and some way ahead of our current incumbent.

Gerrard did well, and looked good - but it was a pretty short stint (16 games), playing for a bad team (and I think it's always easier for a goalkeeper to shine when they're facing a ton of opposition chances per game).

In the past thirty years (when I've been watching), I don't think you can look beyond Phil Whitehead.
He wasn't the flashiest keeper, but I don't remember him having any weaknesses. Every part of his game was sound.

Another keeper just jumped into my head... Ken Veysey! Played for us during the Horton era.

Can’t remember if he was any good! Early 90s I spose.

Dont forget that clown Guatelli that was one of the half dozen clueless idiots that the Merry/Smith takeover saw us lumbered with...

Think he went back to be their no1 following an injury.

Anyone else remember Jimmy Carter the first time around. He was way ahead of the rest of the team ..

I've seen all keepers from Harry Fearnley onwards and I think Paul Gerrard was the best. Sadly, he was not ours to keep.

If we're talking about obscure OUFC goalkeepers, who remembers Hubert Busby Jr?

If I recall, he was a Canadian guy that we put on our bench because we didn't have a reserve keeper for a game; and then Richard Knight got injured and he had to come on and play. If I further recall, he didn't even have his own shirt so basically played in a red training top.....

What I don't remember is how he did! Although I know we did lose that day (we lost most of the time back in that era.......)

If we're talking about obscure OUFC goalkeepers, who remembers Hubert Busby Jr?

If I recall, he was a Canadian guy that we put on our bench because we didn't have a reserve keeper for a game; and then Richard Knight got injured and he had to come on and play. If I further recall, he didn't even have his own shirt so basically played in a red training top.....

What I don't remember is how he did! Although I know we did lose that day (we lost most of the time back in that era.......)

We lost to Wycombe away......... it was his only appearance.. IIRC it was on Setanta Sports on a Friday night?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom