Away Match Day Thread 09/02/21 L1 - Bristol Rovers v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not surprised - they had big plans this season & now they are at the wrong end of the table.
How many managers have been sacked shortly after we have beaten them?

Victor - I seem to remember K Keegan sacked at Newcastle and Denis Smith or maybe Crosby at Sunderland, John Bond at Norwich when we beat them in the old div1
Memory may be playing tricks of course, all a long time ago

Incidentally, it's Chinese New Year on Friday, which starts the Year of the Ox. Last time we played in a season mostly in the Year of the Ox was 2009/10 when we got promoted, although the final was actually held in the Year of the Tiger. Another good sign perhaps?

Worth pointing out previous Years of the Oxes:

1961 - Won Southern League....then began the season when we did it again, and were finally promoted to the Football League
1973 - 8th in Div.2 - then the highest league position that the club had ever attained
1985 - Win Div.2, then first year in the top flight - the club's greatest ever year.
1997 - The worst year of the Ox, because all we did was successfully consolidate in our first season back in the second tier. Still pretty good!
2009 - Beginning of the year we finally escaped the Conference.

Glory awaits?

Victor - I seem to remember K Keegan sacked at Newcastle and Denis Smith or maybe Crosby at Sunderland, John Bond at Norwich when we beat them in the old div1
Memory may be playing tricks of course, all a long time ago
I don’t think Keegan was sacked as they finished second that season

Tisdale sacked

They have a revolving door for managers it seems yet Director of Football Tommy Widdrington keeps his job. He has been deeply involved in recent seasons* recruitment and moving existing managers on/recruiting the new managers yet he seems made of Teflon. I don't rate Paul Tisdale as a manager but he was hardly going to completely remodel a squad, that hasn't been great for a while,, in a January transfer window. Especially when you have squad limits and a salary cap.

As for Keith Curle, not a surprise but at least he had time to build his squad over more than 1 window.

*I think he was involved in recruitment when Darrell Clarke was there and has been there since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom