Away Match Day Thread 09/02/21 L1 - Bristol Rovers v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having listened to a fair few other 'local commentary' teams in the past, have to say we're really lucky to have the team we have on RadioOx. Listened to a fair few in the Prem where you'd pretty much have no idea a game was taking place given the utter nonsense they'd be talking about.

These days, for those following on iFollow you can always switch using the audio options to hear how our opposition does it. (Spoiler - often not all that well).

Actually like having SK in there for the occasional away game. Mixes it up a bit and think he contributes a lot.

Good victory I difficult conditions!, yet looking at some of the pathetic negative comments on this thread reminds me of the lack of passion and a basic understanding of football from some of our 'fan's'... Even moaning about a commentary team, unreal..

No wonder I visit this forum less and less

In that weather, after the first loss in ages and with the amount of games we are having to play I thought a 2-0 away win was a fantastic result. Can’t always play well in every game so to get that win while having to fight for it, against a team we played recently which can always make it a bit trickier gave me a bit of hope that we might sneak in the play offs, with the bad start I thought that was probably just beyond us.

I think with people able to watch every game while sitting on the sofa this season people are getting hyper critical rather than if they were or listening on the radio just enjoying the win.

To be successful in a 46 game season, probably this one more than any other, you have to be able to win ugly at times.

Perfect result. If someone said before the game would you take a 2-0 win everyone would agree. The pitch was the leveller. On a normal dry day with the pitch not rock solid we would go and play them off the park like we did to Doncaster for the majority of the game. The weather and pitch being like it was turned it into a scrap which we stood up too and came out winners. Deserved or not, we won and we move on.

The real negatives away from who annoys who on comms was the injuries to Long and Henry. Let’s hope nether are serious and they are back ASAP.

i suspect the extreme cold made the pitch increasingly frozen and it was becoming a bit of a skating rink. Hence with players uncertain of their surefootedness and the football bouncing more big defenders in particular were lumping it forward more. Consequently we were struggling to play our passing game and played more long balls than usual. It became a poor game but we won. Move on. Lee and Barker look to be great acquisitions and when McGuane is back and Cam gets back to his very best we could be a very exciting team over the 2nd half of the season.

Perfect result. If someone said before the game would you take a 2-0 win everyone would agree. The pitch was the leveller. On a normal dry day with the pitch not rock solid we would go and play them off the park like we did to Doncaster for the majority of the game. The weather and pitch being like it was turned it into a scrap which we stood up too and came out winners. Deserved or not, we won and we move on.

The real negatives away from who annoys who on comms was the injuries to Long and Henry. Let’s hope nether are serious and they are back ASAP.
Robinson said Long is hamstring but that Henry was just a dead leg so hopefully nothing serious.

Robinson said Long is hamstring but that Henry was just a dead leg so hopefully nothing serious.
Who was it earlier in this thread who said if the ball slaps you on the thigh in those conditions, you're going to really feel it. I guess James Henry found that out!!

Love that away kit. We huffed and puffed in it but got the points required.
Roll on Wigan.
This could yet be a season to savour!
That away kit is the clubs true colours going back to the Headington United days and when we came in to the football league, shame we changed to yellow in the sixties, we have had some shocking kits since. We should be wearing the same kit as Wolves.

That away kit is the clubs true colours going back to the Headington United days and when we came in to the football league, shame we changed to yellow in the sixties, we have had some shocking kits since. We should be wearing the same kit as Wolves.
Well things change bro. Wolves kit isn’t looking so good at the moment, it seems too yellow rather than the deep orange. Our kit looked almost coral pink through the blurry ifollow reception last night!

Hufc colours were Dark orange and navy blue...then changed to old gold and black late 50s....which were the colours when Hufc changed name to oufc very early 60s

As Headington I think we mainly played in Orange and Blue shirts, and the Wolves type gold for about a decade.

As Headington I think we mainly played in Orange and Blue shirts, and the Wolves type gold for about a decade.
Yep, Newport County and Southport also had those colours. Remember when we beat Blackburn 3-1 in a packed Manor, then only lost to Preston to an Alex Dawson offside goal in front of 21700 again at the Manor. Happy Days.

Yep, Newport County and Southport also had those colours. Remember when we beat Blackburn 3-1 in a packed Manor, then only lost to Preston to an Alex Dawson offside goal in front of 21700 again at the Manor. Happy Days.
Dawson bundled Harry Fearnley into the net with the ball firmly in his hands. You were allowed to do that in those days!! You can't even touch them now.

Hufc colours were Dark orange and navy blue...then changed to old gold and black late 50s....which were the colours when Hufc changed name to oufc very early 60s
I wonder if any of the old orange and blue shirts have survived... in the club archives(!) or hidden away in someone's loft. I don't think I've ever seen a recent (or colour) photo of one.

Long is going for a scan but not expecting to be serious. Would think that he'd miss Wigan and Tranmere but hopefully back for Ipswich and Pompey.

Henry may miss training as a precaution and be on the bench against Wigan and wasn't expecting to feature against Tranmere anyway. Expect to see Sykes get a chance, but wouldn't rule out Kelly either.

We "should" be able to put out slightly weakened teams against Wigan and Tranmere and still have enough to win. It'd be good to be back to full strength for the tough games which follow though. It sounds like McGuane is only a week away, although not sure if that means a return to training or being fit enough to play.

Incidentally, it's Chinese New Year on Friday, which starts the Year of the Ox. Last time we played in a season mostly in the Year of the Ox was 2009/10 when we got promoted, although the final was actually held in the Year of the Tiger. Another good sign perhaps?

Totally agree. Queued for hours along London Rd to get a tickets for them. That's what finally decided me to get a season ticket.

Yep, Newport County and Southport also had those colours. Remember when we beat Blackburn 3-1 in a packed Manor, then only lost to Preston to an Alex Dawson offside goal in front of 21700 again at the Manor. Happy Days

The colours when I first watched were indeed a dark/orange with blue trim/collars the club became Oxford in 1960. I think it was old gold and black in 62 when we got elected to the league. I may be able to dig out old photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom