+++ 06/07/20 L1 Play Off Semi Final: Leg 2 - OUFC v Pompey +++

I wasn't saying whether it was right or wrong concerning the referees being influenced by the crowd but I do believe it happens, but I do agree that it shouldn't happen. Very often in a reverse way where we see referees show that they are not 'homers' and not going to be swayed by a passionate & vocal home crowd. I have also seen refs 'lose their heads' at Fratton too and give Pompey decisions that were not rightfully due. As for judging capabilities I would argue that the best teams and players find a way of beating what is in front of them. Good teams will find a way through our rigid way of playing. You are right that a lot of teams come to Fratton with not losing being their aim and with our managers strange ways makes for a boring game.

Definetly penalty decisions can be given if the crowd get on the refs back. I reckon there would of been 1 in each game and probably 1 red card in each game. Wether it would of had a difference in the results im not so sure on. It seems like us and pompey were pretty even in both legs, so probably would of still ended up to pens. Problem with both us and pompey is we were cancelling each other out for most of the games, so this good football we know both teams can play did not happen. On paper your team are under achieving and with the correct manager you could of easily been in the top 2. Good luck for next season,

Definetly penalty decisions can be given if the crowd get on the refs back. I reckon there would of been 1 in each game and probably 1 red card in each game. Wether it would of had a difference in the results im not so sure on. It seems like us and pompey were pretty even in both legs, so probably would of still ended up to pens. Problem with both us and pompey is we were cancelling each other out for most of the games, so this good football we know both teams can play did not happen. On paper your team are under achieving and with the correct manager you could of easily been in the top 2. Good luck for next season,
Yes you correct about Pompey underachieving which is something we have been doing for years. We can attract good players to the club and we do have good players at the club already. It is the manager who sticks to this rigid style of play. We spent over £3 million on forwards yet we play with just one up top. I think when you approach games with a defensive attitude you hand the opposition the initiative by letting them know you are frightened of what they could do to you. In Pompey's case an all out attacking home team (in the Peterborough mould) and with the Fratton crowd behind them would reap the rewards and entertain at the same time. As the Duke of Wellington once said "is you scare the opposition you have half won already".

Never thought of Kenny Jackett as an Ian Atkins style manager but maybe there is a bit of avoid defeat at all costs about him.

Disappointed Pompey fan here. First of all well done Oxford United & good luck against Wycombe. I suppose the two games we have just had were never going to be football classics because of all the tension involved but they were certainly not a good advert for League 1. I think that with the supporters missing didn't help either and I think the outcome may well have been different if both games were played in packed stadiums. I think there would have been up to four penalties and a couple of sendings off had either side had their support behind them. I thought we should have had two penalties at Fratton and Oxford should have had one last night. I also beleive a rocking Fratton Park would have seen Pompey far more attack minded for our home leg. I think Oxford have a really good manager while I think the majority of the support here would like to see Mr Jackett moved on with his boring brand of defencive football. Fratton Park can be an intimidating place and with the crowd at full voice an attack minded Pompey would win more than they lose. Please don't see this as sour grapes but I have to say that these two games have shown that neither of our teams are ready for Championship football without a major overhaul, in fact I don't really see any of the promoted teams doing very well at all going up a league. Anyway best of luck in the final.

I don't think it's particularly outlandish to suggest that neither club are ready to support Championship football. Rather, I think most promoted sides in recent years have struggled. If anything, Luton are a perfect example. It took them until January to recognise that outplaying sides in League One is very achievable, whereas Championship players are technically far superior and they will pick you off. Should we achieve promotion, it will be a huge achievement however I would envisage that a change of philosophy will be required to remain competitive. Steeliness and a conservative style whilst hitting sides on the counter appears what is required to grind out results.

I'd strongly argue that we'll need significant reinforcements and the step up will be a mighty shock to many with some of those effective in League One will be deemed surplus to requirements.

Disappointed Pompey fan here. First of all well done Oxford United & good luck against Wycombe. I suppose the two games we have just had were never going to be football classics because of all the tension involved but they were certainly not a good advert for League 1. I think that with the supporters missing didn't help either and I think the outcome may well have been different if both games were played in packed stadiums. I think there would have been up to four penalties and a couple of sendings off had either side had their support behind them. I thought we should have had two penalties at Fratton and Oxford should have had one last night. I also beleive a rocking Fratton Park would have seen Pompey far more attack minded for our home leg. I think Oxford have a really good manager while I think the majority of the support here would like to see Mr Jackett moved on with his boring brand of defencive football. Fratton Park can be an intimidating place and with the crowd at full voice an attack minded Pompey would win more than they lose. Please don't see this as sour grapes but I have to say that these two games have shown that neither of our teams are ready for Championship football without a major overhaul, in fact I don't really see any of the promoted teams doing very well at all going up a league. Anyway best of luck in the final.
We could also say that Oxford were rubbish in both games and still went through, they can play far better than that and will need to if they are to get past Wycombe.
If we were to go up I would expect to see several reinforcements, mostly on loan from Prem clubs. So it would all be a bit of an unknown but a bit of a free hit.

We could also say that Oxford were rubbish in both games and still went through, they can play far better than that and will need to if they are to get past Wycombe.
If we were to go up I would expect to see several reinforcements, mostly on loan from Prem clubs. So it would all be a bit of an unknown but a bit of a free hit.
Both teams have played much better than in these two play off games, no doubting that. If you manage to get past Wycombe you deserve your crack at the Championship. Just as any team steps up a division Oxford will have to bring in players, which is something I think Wycombe will find hard to do. I also think that any promoted team will have to have a nucleus of players at the club already that are able to operate at the higher level. This is where I think League 1 this season is short of players with that ability and from Pompey's perspective I can only think of only two or three in that category. I was impressed with Oxford in the league game at Fratton this season but I have to say I think it was the team that was most impressive but no particular individual. Ivan Toney was the standout player in this league for me with Coventry having the best team. I did not really rate Rotherham as a promotion team and I think they will really struggle. I think one of the problems for Portsmouth is that they are one of the big clubs in this league and are seen as something of a scalp. The truth is that we are a big club in League 1 but with League 1 players unable to overcome our peers who have a little club outlook. How on earth do clubs like Accrington Stanley manage to compete with clubs like Sunderland, Ipswich and Portsmouth, but they do?

Both teams have played much better than in these two play off games, no doubting that. If you manage to get past Wycombe you deserve your crack at the Championship. Just as any team steps up a division Oxford will have to bring in players, which is something I think Wycombe will find hard to do. I also think that any promoted team will have to have a nucleus of players at the club already that are able to operate at the higher level. This is where I think League 1 this season is short of players with that ability and from Pompey's perspective I can only think of only two or three in that category. I was impressed with Oxford in the league game at Fratton this season but I have to say I think it was the team that was most impressive but no particular individual. Ivan Toney was the standout player in this league for me with Coventry having the best team. I did not really rate Rotherham as a promotion team and I think they will really struggle. I think one of the problems for Portsmouth is that they are one of the big clubs in this league and are seen as something of a scalp. The truth is that we are a big club in League 1 but with League 1 players unable to overcome our peers who have a little club outlook. How on earth do clubs like Accrington Stanley manage to compete with clubs like Sunderland, Ipswich and Portsmouth, but they do?

The reason clubs like Accrington survive is because they are well drilled and play as a team and capatalise on teams that aren't performing to their abilities. That's the main difference in league 1 to the championship no team has been consistent (except maybe Coventry). We've done it all season, 2 or 3 wins in a row, then hit a team like mk dons and put in one of the worst performances I've ever seen. Peterborough smashed us 4-0 and I thought they was going to storm the league but then lost a couple of matches.

How on earth do clubs like Accrington Stanley manage to compete with clubs like Sunderland, Ipswich and Portsmouth, but they do?
Because it's not what you've got it what you do with it. The 'larger' clubs have (theoretically) greater income, so their supporters demand 'marquee' signings. (Of course, your manager misheard and made a Marquis signing!). But that isn't always the best way to build a team. And the fans at (for example) Accrington are probably more willing to accept some 'who?' signings than those at Ipswich and Sunderland.
Crowd sizes of course can also be a double-edged sword. There are some home crowds (cough Sunderland cough) who are very prone to turn on their own teams if things aren't all rosy, and given their expectations that happens quite a lot.

The reason clubs like Accrington survive is because they are well drilled and play as a team and capatalise on teams that aren't performing to their abilities. That's the main difference in league 1 to the championship no team has been consistent (except maybe Coventry). We've done it all season, 2 or 3 wins in a row, then hit a team like mk dons and put in one of the worst performances I've ever seen. Peterborough smashed us 4-0 and I thought they was going to storm the league but then lost a couple of matches.
Yes I agree, that is my point. The higher up the leagues you go you find the smaller clubs have a 'siege mentality' where there is a much closer team spirit. In League 2 it is a much more of an even playing field whereby most of the clubs are what you could describe as small. In League 1 there is still a majority of the smaller brand but rub shoulders with bigger and more prestigious clubs. Going into the Championship it is much harder for our smaller brethren and near on impossible in the Premiership. Bournemouth have done it for a couple of seasons but I would think that they are really more lower league with the support they muster. Oxford, in my view, are a club that would not be 'out of place' in the Championship or League 1. Sunderland stand out like a sore thumb in League 1 because a club of that stature is really Premiership. I think Pompey are a Championship club but not out of place as a smaller Premiership club. Can you remember your days in the National League where you were the big club everyone wanted to beat and clubs looked forward to playing you, home & away, because it was a big day for them with the bigger crowds? This is the same for us in League 2 and to a lesser extent in League 1.

Because it's not what you've got it what you do with it. The 'larger' clubs have (theoretically) greater income, so their supporters demand 'marquee' signings. (Of course, your manager misheard and made a Marquis signing!). But that isn't always the best way to build a team. And the fans at (for example) Accrington are probably more willing to accept some 'who?' signings than those at Ipswich and Sunderland.
Crowd sizes of course can also be a double-edged sword. There are some home crowds (cough Sunderland cough) who are very prone to turn on their own teams if things aren't all rosy, and given their expectations that happens quite a lot.
A good manager, in my view, makes the best of what he has available to him at the time and gets the best out of them and gets success. The modern day manager, like Mr Jackett, has a predetermined style of play and gets players in to suit that way. His way is tight defensively with a dependance on defensive midfield players. I think his mindset is get a goalkeeper, center half, a striker and the fill in all the other positions with defence minded midfield players. I agree with you about players that join clubs like Accrington can be "who" players but at clubs like our we expect a little bit more. Clubs like Portsmouth can attract players who play, or are willing to play, at this level would probably appeal to players rather than go to clubs such as Accrington. So I have every respect to these so called smaller clubs at what they achieve.

Exactly, look how long Wimbledon survived in the top flight in the days of the crazy gang.

Fair enough, you won me over when you said Oxford are a Championship sized club, unlike those Sunderland idiots who think Oxford and Wycombe are much of the same. There's some great history between Oxford and Portsmouth although it probably means more to us than to you. But ask any Pompey fan about Santa and they'll say that was the best atmosphere they've ever experienced. We've also played Portsmouth more than any other team in the football league, and in all four divisions, so hopefully we'll be playing again in the Championship sooner or later.
I am not sure what you mean about 'Santa'. Was it the game at Fratton Park where Santa (I beleive it was the real Santa) ran on to the pitch and caused a stoppage with us losing 1-0 and then we scored two goals in time added on for the Santa stoppage? I would argue the best atmosphere was when Pompey played AC Milan in the Europa Cup at Fratton Park. Players from both sides, many fully experienced internationals, said they had never experienced anything like it before or since. I was at the Santa game and the AC Milan game but there was no comparison in my view. Slightly different, of course, but I worked at the Royal Navy Dockyard in Portsmouth at the time of the Falklands war and when the ships came home they got a real Pompey welcome. I will never forget the feeling of national pride and patriotism that was created in those events especially when the Aircraft Carriers entered the port, you could not replicate that.

Yes, fair enough, I remember that Milan game on tv. Also the Arsenal FA cup game. Good to know that the atmosphere can be at that level despite the best efforts of the Premiershit to crush it.

I am not sure what you mean about 'Santa'. Was it the game at Fratton Park where Santa (I beleive it was the real Santa) ran on to the pitch and caused a stoppage with us losing 1-0 and then we scored two goals in time added on for the Santa stoppage? I would argue the best atmosphere was when Pompey played AC Milan in the Europa Cup at Fratton Park. Players from both sides, many fully experienced internationals, said they had never experienced anything like it before or since. I was at the Santa game and the AC Milan game but there was no comparison in my view. Slightly different, of course, but I worked at the Royal Navy Dockyard in Portsmouth at the time of the Falklands war and when the ships came home they got a real Pompey welcome. I will never forget the feeling of national pride and patriotism that was created in those events especially when the Aircraft Carriers entered the port, you could not replicate that.

Exactly, look how long Wimbledon survived in the top flight in the days of the crazy gang.
A good example of team spirit but it did have its ugly side. No one liked playing Wimbledon because of the style they played and all the thuggery that went with it. Not the nicest football to watch for the purist but that long ball game was certainly exciting for all the goal mouth incident. Dons players intimidated opposing players on and off the pitch and the coaching staff taught the players all the dirty little tricks they could to gain an advantage.

Enjoyed reading your comments Blue Walter. Pompey will be OK next season - as long as they don't sack Jackett - I reckon he is a very good manager - but if he does go there will be the inevitable "team rebuilding" phase which may well prolong things. Pity that it wasn't you & us in the Final on Monday!

A good example of team spirit but it did have its ugly side. No one liked playing Wimbledon because of the style they played and all the thuggery that went with it. Not the nicest football to watch for the purist but that long ball game was certainly exciting for all the goal mouth incident. Dons players intimidated opposing players on and off the pitch and the coaching staff taught the players all the dirty little tricks they could to gain an advantage.
Blue Walter, here’s an interesting one: Highly unlikely scenario I know but If Eddie Howe became available in the Summer would he be top of the list as replacement manager with the pompey faithful? Or is the rivalry with Bournemouth similar to that with Southampton?

Blue Walter, here’s an interesting one: Highly unlikely scenario I know but If Eddie Howe became available in the Summer would he be top of the list as replacement manager with the pompey faithful? Or is the rivalry with Bournemouth similar to that with Southampton?
There is no rivalry with Bournemouth, in fact up to recent years we saw them as our little cousin from along the coast and wished them well. Southampton is, of course, a much different case. So if Eddie Howe was to become available there aren't too many clubs that wouldn't want him as their boss. That is the problem because for all our protistations, prestige and self importance we are just a League 1 club. Whereas Mr Howe is destined to be a top manager at a top club.

Enjoyed reading your comments Blue Walter. Pompey will be OK next season - as long as they don't sack Jackett - I reckon he is a very good manager - but if he does go there will be the inevitable "team rebuilding" phase which may well prolong things. Pity that it wasn't you & us in the Final on Monday!
Thank you for your comments Victor. I agree that Kenny Jackett is a very experienced manager and he has been very successful too. But if you speak to supporters of clubs he has managed there is a common theme on their description of his style of play which is boring. I would like to see him go and replaced by a manager that could harness the energy & passion created by the crowd at Fratton Park with a team that suited that environment. In other words a team that attacks and goes out to win games as their main ambition.

We've done it all season, 2 or 3 wins in a row.

From 14 September, 19 games without defeat until next beaten by, as you say, the MK franchise.

Surely that's nothing if not consistent?

You can only get away with being a boring manager if you are a successful boring manager. Or you get to the end of the season and fans can say neither 'we were dull but we have gone up' nor 'we didn't quite make it, but its been an enjoyable season' - you are left with 'that was a boring and rather unfulfilling way to spend a few hundred quid'!

Back
Top Bottom