+++ 06/07/20 L1 Play Off Semi Final: Leg 2 - OUFC v Pompey +++

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northstandboy

Owner
Staff member
Pre match build up for the 2nd leg.

All square, going to be a close contest!

Last edited:
I hear their building a big barrier at the fence end so people cant go watch the game over the fence on monday:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:??

Either the last game of the season for the yellows or looking forward to one of the most important games “arguably“ in our history.
The first leg was a very tense affair for both clubs and neither team really did enough to go into the 2nd leg with a lead.
Both teams will have to play better If they want to get through to the play off final against what is increasingly looking like Wycombe after their first leg victory at the seaside and both teams are more than capable of putting on a good performance.
Did we learn anything from Friday‘s game, yes we did.......
1- Woodburn needs to Stamp his authority in games if he wants to progress as a player.
2- Sam Long needs to concentrate on defending and not going ”Gung Ho” up the wing, he was out of position so many times and dare I say he was our weakest link.
And 3- Matty Taylor needs more service with the ball in front of him to get the best out of him.
Marcus Browne is a very good player at this level and could win games on his own with more self belief.
The remainder of the team to a man gave what we expect, determination, grit, passion, hard working and skill.
If we play as we did on Friday I do believe our season will be over.
However, we all know we can play better and on our day we can rip through teams when everything clicks.
Motivation comes from within and our players seem to have the “never say die” attitude in abundance so COME ON YOU YELLOWS.....

OXFORD UNITED - 3 (Browne, Henry, Ruffles)
Portsmouth - 0
Att - 0,000

I think Browne has enough self belief, he more needs 1) more protection from the ref when he’s constantly being fouled (a few yellows for persistent fouling might stop players just bringing him down every time he runs at them and 2) to know when to pass a bit more
Agree, especially with the last part. Too many times we see him dribble past players brilliantly and then hang on to it for just too long and lose the ball. Other players need to make sure they are present to be passed to also.

Have we got any injury concerns after Friday? Also, and sorry if this has been covered on another thread, if Gorrin or Bran are booked will they miss the final (if we get there)?

Have we got any injury concerns after Friday? Also, and sorry if this has been covered on another thread, if Gorrin or Bran are booked will they miss the final (if we get there)?
Yep 2 bookings accrued & theyll miss the next playoff game

Think it was mentioned on Radio Oxford coverage?

It definitely use to be a rule a couple of seasons back. I remember Derby winning the semi final and one of their players got a yellow in the second leg for kicking the ball away, he already was booked in the first leg so ended up missing the final. So Brannagan and Gorrin will have to be careful.

Just hope if there were any lessons that needed to be learned after Friday have been learned. Curtis seemed to be there main threat so I hope that’s been looked at

So it boils down to these next (potentiall/hopefully!) two matches: Portsmouth at home and, barring something crazy, Wycombe at Wembley.. It wont be easy but will we ever have a better chance of getting to the championship? The butterflies just won’t go away!

It definitely use to be a rule a couple of seasons back. I remember Derby winning the semi final and one of their players got a yellow in the second leg for kicking the ball away, he already was booked in the first leg so ended up missing the final. So Brannagan and Gorrin will have to be careful.
I would put a large sum of money on Gorrin being booked, even if there are only 90 seconds left and we’re three goals up. The man could be having a kick about with a group of eight year olds and he’d still find a way to hack one of them down! Hopefully not though - he’s bloody important to the team.

I think we will sneak this 2-1, but I can see it needing extra time. Absolutely expect the likes of Marquis and Williams to start for them along with one or two changes further back, so it’ll be a fairly different side we play whereas I can’t see us making many changes by comparison. Although I do think Mackie will start instead of Taylor, however much I wish otherwise.

Either way, drawing the away leg and bringing it back is a good position to be in. It’s less complicated than ever - win the game and it’s Wembley. Win two games and it’s the Championship.

To be fair Gorrin`s yellow was a classic "take one for the team".
One thing I noticed in the commentary was the term "strong recovery run" is used to almost justify what was a foul.

I would put a large sum of money on Gorrin being booked, even if there are only 90 seconds left and we’re three goals up. The man could be having a kick about with a group of eight year olds and he’d still find a way to hack one of them down! Hopefully not though - he’s bloody important to the team.

I think we will sneak this 2-1, but I can see it needing extra time. Absolutely expect the likes of Marquis and Williams to start for them along with one or two changes further back, so it’ll be a fairly different side we play whereas I can’t see us making many changes by comparison. Although I do think Mackie will start instead of Taylor, however much I wish otherwise.

Either way, drawing the away leg and bringing it back is a good position to be in. It’s less complicated than ever - win the game and it’s Wembley. Win two games and it’s the Championship.
I also expect Marquis to go to ground very easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom