Home Match Day Thread 02-03-2021 L1 OUFC v Peterborough United

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's an interesting one to compare the treatment of Dan to Matty, and while it is like comparing apples with pears (in terms of relative experience and what they add to a team), I thought I would take a look at what Taylor was doing when he was the same age Agyei is now. Wiki tells me this:

"In June 2014, Taylor signed for recently relegated Conference Premier club Bristol Rovers, reportedly rejecting offers from former club Oxford United and Chester as well as Mansfield Town and Kidderminster Harriers.[10] His Bristol Rovers career got off to a difficult start as he scored just three times in his first 18 matches. He finished the season with 20 goals, including one in each of the play-off semi-final matches against Forest Green Rovers. He played the full 120 minutes of the play-off Final and scored Rovers' second penalty of the shoot-out as Rovers secured an immediate return to the Football League.[11]"

So, maybe, just maybe Dan needs to be cut some slack and needs more nurturing as opposed to the tough love KR seems to favour with him....because at the same age, Taylor had just signed for a Conference club and only managed to score 3 times in his first 18 starts. And all that after rejecting us too!
I think however it is worth looking at the route Taylor took to get to that point in June 2014..

He came through our system, but only managed 7 substitute appearances in two years, after barely being given a chance by the management of the time, who were far less patient and open to bringing youngsters in and through as the current incumbent, so was hardly festooned with opportunities before being released, despite being described to me by a member of the coaching staff as the best finisher at the club even then.
He then put in the hard yards at Didcot and North Leigh, scoring 80 odd goals in the Southern league over three seasons, earning himself a move to Conference side Forest Green where he amassed 96 appearances and 22 goals in three seasons, before moving to the Gas in 2014. So, even though he got off to a slow start at Rovers, he did have six years of regular senior football behind him in which he had given a clear indication of his dedication (how many players resign themselves to a downward spiral once they drop down to Southern League level) and his goalscoring abilities (100+ goals in senior football) to justify being given some time to settle in, which proved the case with an average of a goal every two games over his time at the club.
In comparison, Agyei has managed 43 games (albeit during loans at League one level) in the three years prior to joining Oxford, scoring 8 goals. It is perhaps also worth noting that he has already amassed 33 appearances for the yellows in a season and a half

Oh, and somebody needs to get at that scummer Nathan Thompson - I still have the memory of that penalty incident at Pompey and he always seems a sending-off waiting to happen to me. He's already been suspended twice this season and either Barker or Shodipo need to get at him early on (I'm assuming he's playing!)

Oh, and somebody needs to get at that scummer Nathan Thompson - I still have the memory of that penalty incident at Pompey and he always seems a sending-off waiting to happen to me. He's already been suspended twice this season and either Barker or Shodipo need to get at him early on (I'm assuming he's playing!)
He’s an odious little prick.

I think however it is worth looking at the route Taylor took to get to that point in June 2014..

He came through our system, but only managed 7 substitute appearances in two years, after barely being given a chance by the management of the time, who were far less patient and open to bringing youngsters in and through as the current incumbent, so was hardly festooned with opportunities before being released, despite being described to me by a member of the coaching staff as the best finisher at the club even then.
He then put in the hard yards at Didcot and North Leigh, scoring 80 odd goals in the Southern league over three seasons, earning himself a move to Conference side Forest Green where he amassed 96 appearances and 22 goals in three seasons, before moving to the Gas in 2014. So, even though he got off to a slow start at Rovers, he did have six years of regular senior football behind him in which he had given a clear indication of his dedication (how many players resign themselves to a downward spiral once they drop down to Southern League level) and his goalscoring abilities (100+ goals in senior football) to justify being given some time to settle in, which proved the case with an average of a goal every two games over his time at the club.
In comparison, Agyei has managed 43 games (albeit during loans at League one level) in the three years prior to joining Oxford, scoring 8 goals. It is perhaps also worth noting that he has already amassed 33 appearances for the yellows in a season and a half
I agree that Taylor has proved himself and earned his reputation at this level through hard work and I take absolutely nothing away from him - he is a class act at this level for sure. I would question whether it is harder or easier to do that development and hard work in or out of the (relative) limelight of League 1 and above... and maybe that is where Agyei needs a bit more nurturing. The very fact that he is back in contention in the squad (knowing what we think we do about KR's approach to player attitude and work ethic) along with the comments from RadOx on Saturday on the hard work Agyei has done (both physical and mental) since being dropped, would suggest that he has just the right attitude and work ethic and what he needs is that time to develop and be allowed those odd mistakes as part of that development without being thrown under a bus.

I would not want to suggest for one moment that it is either or when it comes to Agyei or Taylor, clearly it isn't, but want to acknowledge that BOTH have important roles to play for the rest of this season and can compliment each other in that respect.

Interestingly 3 of the last 4 teams to take points off Peterborough have lined up with three at the back. I know we are not best suited to line up this way but it’s worth considering.

Interestingly 3 of the last 4 teams to take points off Peterborough have lined up with three at the back. I know we are not best suited to line up this way but it’s worth considering.
That's a good spot. Maybe this is a game to revert back to our pre-window shape with Gorrin deep as a borderline third centre back, encourage Ruffs and Long to maraud, hold Shodipo/Barker on the bench. I'd be a lot happier if Henry is available and hope the possible injury is mind games. Despite his poor form this year he's still so important to us as a controller of the pace when played centrally or as a provider for Taylor when wider.

Last edited:

DFLImWUXkAEiI1k.jpg

Hope this helps

The rest of the season surely rotates between Dan Agyei and Matty T.
A little bit like Jack Stevens being given a long run and grasping it ( and not being played at left back! ) Dan should have these last third of the season to prove himself and hopefully be a big part in our promotion this season !

As said in the build up thread, I think we’ll lose.

Come out after 90 minutes with a point or more and I’ll be delighted.

Why am I sometimes reminded of General Melchett everytime we discuss tactics on here. Start with two strikers, both advanced wingers and play five at the back...it's the last thing the opposition will be expecting!

Does Agyie deserve to start? No but I do expect him to come off the bench and then if he does well then he might be in with a shout for a starting role.

I’m hoping for an entertaining end to end game tonight and if we win then it’s a bonus. That’s the way I view most games this season now.

starting line up:

Stevens
Long Moore Atkinson Ruffles
Brannagan Kelly
Sykes Lee Barker
Taylor

Subs: Eastwood, Grayson, Hanson, Gorrin, Shodipo, Hall, Agyie

Will take a point.

I think it's fair to say that Peterborough would have been in the play offs last season of it wasn't for Covid, not you know who. Yes, I'm not over it.

Does Agyie deserve to start? No but I do expect him to come off the bench and then if he does well then he might be in with a shout for a starting role.

I’m hoping for an entertaining end to end game tonight and if we win then it’s a bonus. That’s the way I view most games this season now.

starting line up:

Stevens
Long Moore Atkinson Ruffles
Brannagan Kelly
Sykes Lee Barker
Taylor

Subs: Eastwood, Grayson, Hanson, Gorrin, Shodipo, Hall, Agyie
But when do we bring him on 70th minute again? If he had say come on at 60 mins or even half time we may have scored again. Apart from KR’s transfer announcements every window the other peeve I have about him is his introduction of our subs.

This has probably been covered before, why are the kick off’s at 7pm?

Why am I sometimes reminded of General Melchett everytime we discuss tactics on here. Start with two strikers, both advanced wingers and play five at the back...it's the last thing the opposition will be expecting!

Much like Melchett’s map, the KasStad is a ‘barren, featureless desert’.

Maybe his tactics would be apt!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom